Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

ambleside online?

Anyone using this curriculum? How is it working for you? How old are your kids?

I'm exploring the Charlotte Mason ideas... So intriguing. Just wondering about the implementation of it.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ambleside online?

I use Ambleside Online for my boys, they are 7.5 and soon to be 12 (like in a couple of weeks). We love the curriculum but we have done a lot of altering to make it work. Part of the altering was because we are an atheist family so I removed the bible study and any books that were overtly religious and replaced them with secular choices. The other part was so I could overlap several subjects for my kids and because my oldest is ASD and I wasn't sure exactly how well it would work for him as it was written. Honestly though with a little bit of research and a little time I was able to choose the year I wanted to use, take the book list and create a plan that works very well for us. My kids are far happier than they have ever been.

There are several other CM curriculums out there, many are free. I looked over many websites and did take ideas and suggestions from them but I found AO had most of what I was looking for. Many of the other websites were harder to use or I just didn't find them any more appealing than AO.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I use Ambleside Online for my boys, they are 7.5 and soon to be 12 (like in a couple of weeks). We love the curriculum but we have done a lot of altering to make it work. Part of the altering was because we are an atheist family so I removed the bible study and any books that were overtly religious and replaced them with secular choices. The other part was so I could overlap several subjects for my kids and because my oldest is ASD and I wasn't sure exactly how well it would work for him as it was written. Honestly though with a little bit of research and a little time I was able to choose the year I wanted to use, take the book list and create a plan that works very well for us. My kids are far happier than they have ever been.

There are several other CM curriculums out there, many are free. I looked over many websites and did take ideas and suggestions from them but I found AO had most of what I was looking for. Many of the other websites were harder to use or I just didn't find them any more appealing than AO.

thanks for this!

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post

Completely, OT, but Shannon I am so glad that you found something that will work for your family. Wasn't it last fall that you were having quite a bit of trouble? Yay for hs'ing and being able to tailor the education to your kids!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Completely, OT, but Shannon I am so glad that you found something that will work for your family. Wasn't it last fall that you were having quite a bit of trouble? Yay for hs'ing and being able to tailor the education to your kids!
Thank you! I was having a really rough time with both of them so finding something so simple that works for the two together has been amazing. I was shocked by how well Kearnan has taken to all of the reading, he just surprises me every day. Tharen still has his moments but over all he seems to really enjoy the majority of the books we have chosen to use so he is pretty content.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote