Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mask of Pregnancy?

Please help, my face is turning funny colors :/
I think maybe it's Mask of Pregnancy (I'm 17 weeks tomorrow), but my face is a bit more red/purple than brown. I'd post a pic, but I'm not sure you can see it. The line is very obvious and about half way down my cheek. It's only on the left side. It feels swollen, and the skin is dryer than the rest of my face. I pretty much look like somebody punched me in the face. Could this be an allergic reaction to something? I'm generally not allergic to anything. It showed up yesterday evening when I got too hot/too tired/too hungry, we were just really having a bad day all around. My midwife is on vacation and I don't want to bother her unless I have to, but I'm really starting to worry b/c of the swelling (though really it's only mild swelling), and swelling is a sign of pre-e. I haven't had any other symptoms & I will have my mom (a RN) check my BP when I see her this afternoon. Also, if this is typical for Mask of Pregnancy I know that some cultures consider it to be a nutrient deficiency, does anyone know what nutrient that is?

Advertisement

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mask of Pregnancy?

I really have no idea but I think your mom will be a good resource. Since it happened on that particular day I would say make sure you hydrate and rest. Are you still taking your multi vitamin?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mask of Pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I really have no idea but I think your mom will be a good resource. Since it happened on that particular day I would say make sure you hydrate and rest. Are you still taking your multi vitamin?
My mom took my blood pressure and it was totally normal. I do take my prenatal, but today I picked up a naturally sourced B-complex and a few other supplements I'm hoping will help.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I thought eating yogurt was supposed to help. I always get the mask, but it's just like really dark freckles show up. I do get a faint line. Not sure why I get it.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You can develop an allergy at anytime, and I actually know a few mamas who have specific allergies only during their pregnancies! I would hav gone in, or even tried some Benadryl (it is safe during pregnancy!) to see I it would have brought the swelling down. Hope you get it figured out!
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
leviandgarettsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnancy mask is hyperpigmentation (overproduction of melanin) caused by prego hormones instead of the usual sun exposure. It is not caused by nutrient deficiency either. Sounds like you might be having an allergic reaction to something. OTC cortizone cream is safe to use until your mw gets back, or contact a dermatologist.

Last edited by leviandgarettsmom; 07-21-2013 at 09:56 PM.
leviandgarettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote