Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Back labor

Can anyone tell me what it feels like? I am 36w6d and have the most horrendous back pain I have ever had. No tightening in my belly like when I have normal contractions. I can barely walk it is hurting so bad. It doesn't really stop but does seem to get worse in waves.

Advertisement

s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For me, it was regular contractions and the hardening of the uterus but the pain was centered in my back, not my abdomen. It was excruciating. If you have any doubts, I would go get checked out, though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Back labor

Any news?

I asked my mom about it, and she said she didn't know she was in labor (her first baby) at all. She just felt like she had the most horrendous backache for a couple days. It turned out he was a footling breech and probably posterior to boot. She said that the not knowing it was labor probably saved her from a C-section because by the time it finally felt like contactions & labor it was too late for them to do anything. She didn't show up to the hospital until he was very close to being born, and that's when they discovered he was breech. The actual birth was relatively easy.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

All I have had is back labor. It is a pain that comes a goes but never seems to really go away. Mine was the worst at my lower back hip area.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had the same thing this afternoon and went in to see my ob, they monitored me for a bit but it petered off. He said it is contractions though and I need to be mindful of them so I don't wait too long when it is the real deal. She's still comfortably in the belly right now.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
Can anyone tell me what it feels like? I am 36w6d and have the most horrendous back pain I have ever had. No tightening in my belly like when I have normal contractions. I can barely walk it is hurting so bad. It doesn't really stop but does seem to get worse in waves.
BACK LABOR like someone shot you in back as that is only spot that hurts that stops you. Sounds like you got it. I feel your pain. I had it with oldest & like one other one said I didn't know I was in labor as lamaze said the pain starts in back but moves to. Front....liars!

Regular contractions felt like period cramps for me. Hips were more affected with 3rd baby. 2nd baby contractions weren't bad.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 07-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It feels like someone is jamming a truck through a point in your back. ITs horrible. I had back labor with DS#2. I almost gave up at one point I was holding the bed so tight.. Its a horrible horrible pain you would know trust me.. Between the tightening of the uterus and the unyielding pain you would definitely be aware.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Call your doc. You might be in labor.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I had the same thing this afternoon and went in to see my ob, they monitored me for a bit but it petered off. He said it is contractions though and I need to be mindful of them so I don't wait too long when it is the real deal. She's still comfortably in the belly right now.
I had intense, insane back pain the day before my due date and on my due date. It just wasn't what "labor pains" had been described to me as feeling like, so I didn't know. My C/S was scheduled on my due date, for the next morning, and when I checked in and they hooked me up to the monitors and saw the contraction intensity, they were like, wow, you are seriously in labor! I had no idea. I thought it was just normal to have insane back pain. But, it was my first child, so what did I know Anyways, what I learned that day, in case this happens with future babies, is that you are supposed to time the waves of it hitting your back, and follow the normal rules for contraction intensity/length/timing to determine going to the hospital.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
leyash
Registered Users
seller

i had back labor with both of my natural births, and my good god, i could have killed myself. not exaggerating. totally not trying to scare you, but it was the worst pain ever. i couldn't even feel the pain in my stomach/my front. my husband was pushing my back as hard as he could and it did nothing for the pain. my back was bruised/sore for weeks afterwards because of how hard he was pushing. it helped the pain a TINY bit, but not nearly enough. was horrid.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote