Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: TOLAC after uterine rupture

I would never ask for a TOLAC with that history - and I am going to try for a VBA2C with this baby, so I'm not the paranoid type.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988

Home birth has never been an option for me. I mean, yeah, technically it is, but it is outside of my comfort level and not something I have ever had any desire for. I will consent to a RCS before intentionally attempting a home birth.
Oh, and I don't have a problem with home births. It's just really not something I am comfortable with, for myself.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess
Having already ruptured your rate of re-rupture is profound. I would not attempt a vbac in this instance and personally I would be hesitant to even get pregnant again.
Both the doctor who did the csection and the attending midwives said they would be fine seeing me pregnant again, although they recommended waiting at least 2 years before becoming pregnant again (it will likely be a minimum of 5 years between deliveries). It didn't occur to me then to ask about vaginal birth though. I am at a different hospital now, and I won't be delivering here (or that's the plan). Unless I unexpectedly get pregnant, I won't be seeing an ob here to consult with
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't feel comfortable attempting a trial of labor after and I say that with experience. I had a partial rupture - ironically in a location completely separate from my previous c-section scar. When we got pregnant again I knew we would simply be going with scheduled c-sections from there on out. My second son was a successful vbac and my third was the partial rupture and c-section birth I mentioned above.

What you had sounds like a uterine window not a rupture.

I'm personally at a point of peace with my scheduled repeat c-sections and will be having my 4th c-section in 9.5 weeks.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
Home birth has never been an option for me. I mean, yeah, technically it is, but it is outside of my comfort level and not something I have ever had any desire for. I will consent to a RCS before intentionally attempting a home birth.
I understand. Basically though if Ina May Gaskin wouldn't attempt a home birth, our hospitals won't attempt a vbac. Not that they are actually considering her I am sure, but rather that her criteria for sending in or refusing home birth is also similar to their criteria for requiring a C-section.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #16
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So you had uterine window (uterine dehiscence), not a rupture, correct? I am sorry,
confused by your post a little.

http://vbacfacts.com/2012/04/03/conf...-catastrophic/

I will be the oddball and say that I would attempt a VBAC (in a hospital) if I had the same history.
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had two csections (second was a failed hbac) the second resulted in an extension tear due to a thinning uterus. Which is way less serious than what you're dealing with and if we had a third it would absolutely be a planned csection. And my hb midwife agrees with that.

So no, I wouldn't.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
So you had uterine window (uterine dehiscence), not a rupture, correct? I am sorry,
confused by your post a little.

http://vbacfacts.com/2012/04/03/conf...-catastrophic/

I will be the oddball and say that I would attempt a VBAC (in a hospital) if I had the same history.
Well that explains why my doctors refuse to do a VBAC with me. Because of the amount of internal scar tissue I have it took them an hour to safely cut through to my baby last time. In the event of this type of an emergency they wouldn't be able to take their time.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Well that explains why my doctors refuse to do a VBAC with me. Because of the amount of internal scar tissue I have it took them an hour to safely cut through to my baby last time. In the event of this type of an emergency they wouldn't be able to take their time.
I have not heard of that and there are woman in my group who have had 3+ C/S (along with the scar tissue that comes with that) who have attempted/succeeded in having VBACs, but like I said, I don't know any specifics and every situation is different.
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say it would depend entirely on how your uterus was looking when you were pregnant. With a history of a near-rupture, I'd expect that they'll be checking the thickness of the uterine wall as you get close to term anyways. If all is looking well, then you could talk to your ob about trying it with careful monitoring, and the OR ready to go if necessary. If it's not, well then you'll know!

A friend of mine had a c-section with her first, tried labour with her second and began to rupture and needed a repeat section, and though she begged for an early section with her third, she started labour and began to rupture again before they actually did the surgery. (the doctor made them wait for some unknown reason....?!) Her life and the baby's were jeopardized that time. It took 45 min to resuscitate the baby. Sometimes it just doesn't work out the way we hope.

In normal circumstances, a VBAC is a great choice - I'm definitely an advocate! But it always has to be an informed choice, and you've got to know what you're up against.

All the best for a smooth pregnancy and delivery when the time comes!