Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
mamalopez
Registered Users

hiring a doula?

Hi, I am pregnant and due the beginning of January. I live in Oregon and my dh works out of town, currently in southern Utah. We are hopeful that he will make it home in time for the birth but realistically it is unlikely as this is my fourth child and I tend to have quick labors. I have never hired a doula but have been thinking about it a lot lately. Does anyone know how much they usually are and have personal experience with it. This will be a hospital birth, and likely premature as all but my first have been and my first was close. I do have natural births or have had in the past and plan to again.
I guess I just want advice and opinions on hiring a doula in my situation. Labor for me is pretty easy, I just don't want to do it alone.

Advertisement

mamalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: hiring a doula?

Hiring a doula is 100% worth the money!

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
mamalopez
Registered Users

Are they there just as an advocate for your birth plan, or do they help with pain relief and comfort as well. Honestly I just want someone to be there that isn't emotionally involved. I don't really want my mother or mother in law there, they are both too clingy and would irritate me. I really don't have much pain until they break my water, and then I immediately go into transition and then push and have the baby, all in less than thirty minutes with all three. So the last thirty minutes is really intense but before that is not too bad.
mamalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was thinking of a doula with my last birth and will likely if I do again. We have a teaching facility close to where we live so it would even be free. Something you might want to look into (a teaching hospital, usually. These are nursing students who want to be doulas.) You can help them, they can help you!
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Erinne
Registered Users

Not sure where you are in Oregon, but you may be able to find a cheaper student doula through Birthingway, the midwifery college. They have a list on their website with doula bios and then you just contact them directly.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Any chance you are close to Bend, OR? I have a recommendation for a fabulous doula there.

Had an awesome experience with a doula, would totally recommend it!

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand doulas charge somewhere in the $200-$400 range, depending on your area. Interview a few and pick the one that you click with the best. Ask about when they come to be with you, how they help during labor (some of their tricks and things that would make sense given your labor pattern), what they will and won't do, how long they stay after the birth, if and how long they check on you and/or help in the weeks after the birth.

Usually they do help with pain management and make sure you understand what's happening if the dr or hospital want to do anything not specified in your birth plan. Our doula brought up things with the nurse and the ob that she knew we wanted, but didn't have the presence of mind to bring up ourselves. Some prefer to prompt you to bring up those things so that they aren't seen as interfering or speaking for you. Things like desires for natural/med free birth, delayed cord clamping, etc. We were so in labor land that it was nice to have someone else to help remember those things up front. In my opinion a doula is totally worth it. I didn't want my mom or MIL at my birth either and don't see that changing in the future. I would totally hire a doula again, though.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Doulas help with whatever you need, whether it's simply a hand to squeeze all the way to reminding you to drink water, helping offer position changes, etc for pain mamagement. They can help you communicate your wishes to hospital staff. These are all things you discuss as you get to know your doula and she gets to know you. Even if hubby ends up making it, a doula is nice to have around.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
litigatrix
Registered Users
seller

Here in DC my Doula was $1400 but worth it in any event as she was able to help me know when to go to the hospital, help with labor positions and pain relief, etc. I would say to hire one for sure, especially if it's only a couple hundred bucks!

litigatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie
Hiring a doula is 100% worth the money!
Completely agree. I had a doula with DD1 and didn't with DD2 (DH wanted to keep it to as few people in the room as possible). I wish I would not have given in on that. I definitely missed having that presence.