Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: hiring a doula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by litigatrix View Post
Here in DC my Doula was $1400 but worth it in any event as she was able to help me know when to go to the hospital, help with labor positions and pain relief, etc. I would say to hire one for sure, especially if it's only a couple hundred bucks!

I was thinking that was an awesome price! Your price is what I was quoted when I asked friends and looked around.

And I do think they are worth the money for their time and experience! (the amount charged just seems to depend on where you live)

I also didn't mean to imply that it needed to be on the cheap. I just thought it would be great to have an up and comer who was so interested she/he was volunteering for experience (which is what I did in my field- maybe why its near and dear to me) and after having one child birthing experience, I felt I might be ready to include a student doula and we could help each other.

Advertisement

c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
mamalopez
Registered Users

Erinne, I am in the Portland area, I will check into the school. I would be happy to have a student doula as I have a bit of experience already in child birth.
Betsybikes, I am not in the Bend area but thank you for the referral.

Thank you everyone for the great advice, I think I am going to look around and see what I can find. I am really leaning toward hiring one, I think it will help both myself and dh be relaxed about the birth.
mamalopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In Portland, there are TONS of doulas. I would start with DoulaMatch.net. It is an inddependent website created by a long time birth advocate. Doulas post their profiles, update their calendars and clients can leave testimonials. You can also search by zip code and due date to find out who is on call when you are due. It really is a fantastic tool! Student doulas can be on doulamatch.net as well as certified doulas.

I'm a DONA Certified doula myself - birth and postpartum work pretty much full time. LOVE it!
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used a doula last time with #3 and loved it! I found my doula through doula match.com. She charges about $600 but that includes some visits prior to birth, the actual birth, and then a birth story and a post partum visit. She really helped me last time with aroma therapy, different positions, using the shower and birthing ball. My dh is really clueless and was happy that I plan to use her again for this birth.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
stephyjmu05
Registered Users
seller

My Doula was $700 and although I am just 14 weeks she has already been a lifesaver. She has been there at apts, helped me calm down my toddler, let me text with all kinds of problems and she has been nothing but calm and gracious. The price of the doula is usually based on their experience and how desired they are. Mine in particular has 200+ births under her belt, is a lactation consultant and a certified nurse. So you get what you pay for and since I had one with my first kid I know what to expect and hope it is just as amazing as the first time.

Mommy To A (5) and soon to be mommy to new baby
stephyjmu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So you would recommend finding / contacting a doula ASAP?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
RebeccaLynne
Registered Users

I would in your situation. Look up what ones near you charge, it varies wildly.
RebeccaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
yazmanderfaz
Registered Users
seller

I too am considering hiring a doula for this birth, my last one was a nightmare. I really want a natural birth and our hospital staff is very pushy. When is the best time to contact a doula? I'm in my second trimester, is it better to wait til third?
yazmanderfaz is offline   Reply With Quote