Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: School lunch ideas, on the CHEAP!

DD is dairy and nut free so you can add cheese or other nutt butters, but you won't see any in my menu. DD likes sandwiches so she eats those 90% of the time. Other then that she does
homemade soup
waffles (we have a mini waffle maker) with fruit and homemade syrup (I "can" both strawberry and blueberry syrups)

anti pasta lunch- black olives, red pepper slices, cucumber slices, crackers and sometimes salami or pepperoni- no sauces or dips because she doesn't like them. 1 cucumber, 1 red pepper and 1 can of olives will get us through the whole week.

hot dogs with chips. We very rarely have hot dogs, but when we do dd gets one for lunch. I think last year she had 2 hotdogs for school lunch the whole year.

egg people- hard boiled egg cut in half, cut side down. Tiny slivers of carrots, red peppers and olive circles on the tide. DD makes her people when she gets to school- it won't stay being transported. Crazy carrot hair, olive eyes and red pepper mouth.

Chicken salad on crackers

Sliced avocado (drizzled with lime) or guacamole with tortilla or tortilla chips. Sometimes I will send her with a soft taco shell and fillings- they have a microwave for the meat. Everything just has to be heated in less then 30 seconds.

Left over rice mixes- homemade, mine are loaded in veggies and sometimes has some meat in them.

If they don't like sandwiches will they do cracker sandwiches? You can make home made lunchables- our grocery store sells circle ham that fits perfectly on circle crackers.

SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Registered Users
Re: School lunch ideas, on the CHEAP!

Ds likes hot lunches so I let him buy up to twice a week. I have found with the thermal containers that if you fill them up with boiling water while you are preparing lunch and then empty them right before you pack the lunch, they will keep the food hot until lunch time.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote