Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
enchilada sauce

What can I do with canned red enchilada sauce besides enchiladas? We're going to be moving soon and I am trying to use up stuff. Some how I have managed to hide 4 cans of sauce in the back of my pantry.

Recipes can't be cheesy, we can only do cheese if it can be held off of dd's. So cheese can only be used as a topping. Not a lot of beans either. I was thinking I might add a can to hamburger and make meat loaf or hamburgers with it. I was also thinking I might make some beans and rice with the sauce and some canned green chilies (but I would be the only one to eat this, so i would be eating it for lunch for a week). Not sure what else I would need to add to the rice or if the sauce would be good (I would add soup veggies because I always do to my rice). I also have several cans of kidney beans and black beans- I am the only one who eats beans. I buy them to make bean salads and rice dishes for me to eat for lunch. But I buy them on sale so I have way more then I need. Lots of canned tomatoes.

Do think I could baste chicken breasts in it and bake it? What would I serve that with? What else? Maybe a pot roast stewed in it? We don't like chili otherwise I might use it make some chili.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: enchilada sauce

Oh, enchilada casserole will not work. no one would eat it. Basically I love almost all mexican food, dd and ds like most basic mexican and dh only likes nachos, guac or taco bell's grilled stuff burrito. He will occasionally eat enchiladas (we do vegetarian avocado and shredded beef, very rarely bean) but we had them last month. Once a month is too much for him.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've made I guess you can call it a Mexican stir fry with chicken, onions and diced tomatoes and served over white rice. Just something I made up a long time ago in my head but it was tasty! Of course you can add whatever you'd like, now that I think about it I've added corn also to it. Hth
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds good to me. Like a hot chicken salsa. Probably through some cold avocado on the top too.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
watchmekerfuly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You could make chilaquiles pretty much you fry up tortillas til theyre golden n crispy. After theyve been drained you put your chicken, or beef, or beans on top, pour sauce on top and finish with cheese. Pop in the oven to melt the cheese. Thats how they serve them in the restaurant with a side of lettuce. But these canned sauces tend to be bland. I usually doctor them up a tiny bit with chicken bouillon, salt, and a pureed tomato or 2. Then I boil it up and use.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
Sounds good to me. Like a hot chicken salsa. Probably through some cold avocado on the top too.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about a Mexican meatloaf? Weight Watchers has a recipe for one and it's really tasty! You use enchilada sauce instead of ketchup.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Chile rellenos, you could stuff them with ground beef instead of all cheese and just leave cheese out of your dd's. Pour the sauce over them and pop them in the oven for a few minutes. We also like to use enchilada sauce over fried polenta.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use enchilada sauce to cook chicken or pork in the crockpot. Just pour it over raw meat and cook on low all day, and it shreds naturally. I use the meat in tacos, nachos, and breakfast scrambles (eggs, veggies, meat, potatoes, salsa, top with avocado)
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
happybabybumz
Registered Users
seller

I make a rice enchillada dish on the stovetop that I came up with that is based on the Hamburger Helper Cheesy Enchilada boxed meal if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I use enchilada sauce to cook chicken or pork in the crockpot. Just pour it over raw meat and cook on low all day, and it shreds naturally. I use the meat in tacos, nachos, and breakfast scrambles (eggs, veggies, meat, potatoes, salsa, top with avocado)
That sounds delicious! Do you add any water to it too or just the meat and enchilada sauce in the crockpot? This should work with red meat too I would imagine?
happybabybumz is offline   Reply With Quote