Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Blending sounds

We started K with our 4 and 5 year old last month, and we are doing great!

However, they are having a lot of trouble blending sounds. I will have a few stuffed animals, or a page with pictures, and call out c-a-t, and they will go mouse! or horse! Essentially, they will go for every animal BUT the one that has those sounds...it's driving me batty!!

With the 4 year old, he might just not be ready (we just threw him in there with his sister, since we homeschool...we can easily just do it again next year, but he was very excited to be in school and not be the only kid left out!), but I know that the 5.5 year old is ready. She i bright, picks things up quickly, and is totally ready for this.

Any games or suggestions other than just practice? I won't move on in lessons until they get it, at least a little bit Computer games would be great! They get 20 minutes every day while I do some work with their older brother.

Advertisement

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
PBS kids.

Word world. Super why. Great exposure and games.
Can she ID first sound of a word? Find all the words w the /k/ sound?
Sight words may help her gain confidence.
DS always did best w sight words and word parts than single sounds
Or
Try Ca - T instead. Ca-p Ca-n

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Leapfrog Word Factory is awesome fit that. . Teach you child to read in 100 easy lessons has a great program that first teaches blends aurally, then you learn to do it in print. It worked well for DD. we had been using hooked on phonics, but that jumps too fast from letter sounds to whole words and DD couldn't make the jump.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blending sounds

My 4 yr olds LOVE ABeCeDarian. Their progression is amazing & they truly enjoy the daily lessons. A huge help is to identify/call letters by their most common sound and not use the letters names at all. My children learn a few at a time throughout their lessons & it sticks with them. They are reading (not memorizing) several more words every day all on their own thanks to ABeCeDarian, which BTW is very much against random guessing.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
aries416
Registered Users
seller

unifix cubes for blending! Green for the first sound, yellow for the second and red for the last sound.

You can also do it the super boring (but usually works way) of writing the blend on a white board and do a lot of, "My turn ___ (say the blend), Your turn _____ (child says)" and then repeat. I did this with my students after doing all the fun stuff first if they still weren't getting it.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I understand! My oldest son had a really hard time blending and so we took a break from school for a bit (he was frustrated and I was frustrated)... then, MAGICALLY, when he was 5 years old and 10 months... he just GOT IT. It clicked! Then he was blending beautifully with very little help from me.

I have friends who's children are the exact same way. 6 is like this magic age for things just clicking (I remember seasoned mamas telling me the wait till their 6 advice too, but I'm glad I taught the letters and sounds when I did, just wish I wouldn't have kept pushing blending when he just "wasn't there" yet). I will not even try to teach my other kids to blend until around 6 years old as well. We do names and sounds and writing with my almost 5 year old, but that's as far as I'm going until later.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes, six is the best age. There is something about kids losing their first teeth..."They are ready to learn to read after they have lost their first two teeth". I can't remember who's theory that is, but I learned it in college, and it seems to be true.

Everything before six is just the preview, then it takes off.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Yes, six is the best age. There is something about kids losing their first teeth..."They are ready to learn to read after they have lost their first two teeth". I can't remember who's theory that is, but I learned it in college, and it seems to be true.

Everything before six is just the preview, then it takes off.
She has lost 3 teeth already! Crazy girl

I knew with the 4 year old that it would all be hit or miss...haha! But I figured it wouldn't hurt. DD will be 6 in November, and we have not done any formal learning until last month

Thanks for the game ideas! Glad there are a few on pbs...will go try them out

And not sure why I never thought about just breaking down the word in two parts instead of three (c-a-t vs. ca-t.) That would probably help start their brains thinking that way!

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
drabekgirl
Registered Users

My ds1 could not identify sounds of letters in mid K. He would guess at what the letter were at that point. He could not identify that he had seen the same simple word repeated multiple times in 5 minutes. He has dyslexia not sever though. I tried teach your child to read in a 100 easy lessons as he was starting k (almost 6) and his 15 month younger brother was reading the words in the lessons over his shoulder not him. It was in K that I sought out a tutor for him, he has been now seeing her 1-4 times a week and will be entering 4th grade in Sept. His comprehension is amazing but his reading and spelling skills still lag behind. What did they start with how the sounds were made in the mouth. Where is he now, he is learning meaning endings such as tion, ment, and ly. In it all she gives the why behind everything that's just the way his brain works. Its a time commitment and its not necessarily cheap (we barter for services). Does he resort to the backwardness yes when he is stressed or learning something new. His processing speeds are not fast and thus he struggles with timed tests.

How about his brother, he does not have the same issues.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

My son will be 6 in October and is reading BUT it just like took off one day we struggled with blending for what felt like ever one day he just got it .

we use phonics pathways, a white board, and legos.

Last edited by monkeymama07; 08-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote