Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Extened Breastfeeders - Question

I had a weight check for my 16 month old today. I was asked if he still nursed. I said yes, of course. I was told that he recommends babies who nurse into the 2nd year of life should be on a schedule and not allowed to "snack" on the breast or be given the breast for "comfort" (ie - falling down, etc.). He asked how many times I nurse per day and also said to not nurse him in the middle of the night due to his teeth.

I allow him to nurse as he wants, which is 4-5 times per day. He likes to go to sleep with boobie and I am not waking him up to give him water or brush his teeth. He also nurses at night and we cosleep. It is only a couple times, but it is not a big deal to us.

What do you all do who extend breastfeed? Do you allow your child to nurse as they wish? Do you nurse to sleep and at night? Do you worry about their teeth?

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:
I let my daughter (just turned 2) nurse whenever she wants within reason. She still nurses to sleep most of the time. Ive had doctors say the same things and i just nod and ignore them.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Extened Breastfeeders - Question

My 26 month old nurses on demand. Brushing teeth occurs after any evening snack. After that I consider nursing safe for teeth. No solid food or drinks. Only mama's milk or water until morning. He has no cavities at all.

My older children did wind up with cavities but for other reasons. I was not as strict with the tooth brushing plus ds1 had other issues and was on meds I strongly feel affected his teeth. He also did a lot of vomiting and had (still has) acid reflux which is bad for teeth when it happens a lot. By 2 he already had spots on his teeth. Ds 2 has no such issues and his teeth are fine with brushing before bed and morning but still breastfeeding during the night on demand.

Nursing for comfort is one of the greatest benefits of extended breastfeeding. I would ignore this doctor.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd is almost 14 months. We nurse at 6 am then she falls back to sleep until 815 or 830 then nurses then also. Then she nurses before nap at around 10am. Then she nurse before nap about 330pm and again at 7:45 or 8pm for bed & sleeps until 6ish am.

I don't intend for her to be on a schedule it just happened that way. She doesn't really ask to nurse probably because I offer so much. I also don't nurse to sleep anymore I just nurse her until she is drowsy.

We have an LC nurse practitioner at our ped office and she is very pro breast feeding. & just encourages me to nurse as long as me and my daughter want to continue.

I am sorry your ped is saying this. I think you are doing a great job extended breast feeding! But that co sleeping thing... Just kidding lol. I would totally love to co sleep but DH won't let me
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

This is what I thought. I just nodded and smiled. I only nurse certain times a day as it is. He is very busy and only comes to me about 3-5 times per day. He rarely comes to booby if he falls or gets hurt. Usually picking him up for a second does the trick. If he wanted booby I would give it to him. Usually he asks in the AM when he first gets up. At nap time he wants booby for sure. Then in the evening when he is more worn out he likes to snack on the breast and then to go to sleep. He might nurse 2-3 times max a night back to sleep. I honestly do not know as we cosleep and stay shirtless to give him full access.

It really works for us. I am still enjoying our nursing relationship and so is he. I would hate to have to reinvent the wheel when it is not broken.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofthemoonsglow View Post
I let my daughter (just turned 2) nurse whenever she wants within reason. She still nurses to sleep most of the time. Ive had doctors say the same things and i just nod and ignore them.
except my dd is almost 19 months old.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like your ped is adapting bottle feeding recommendations to breastfeeding. My DD is 14 months and I still nurse on demand. I also give her table food when she requests it. We cosleep and she still nurses at night. I really don't know how often, but I believe it's more in the first part of the night before midnight, and in the early morning like from 5 or so until she wakes up (not constant, but she'll nurse several times).

All the research I'm aware of indicates that breastmilk from the breast does not cause cavities and may help prevent them due to the antipathogenic nature of breastmilk. Formula can not make that claim. Nursing at the breast is a different action than drinking from a bottle. Bottle drinking allows liquid to pool in the mouth far more than nursing does. Not to mention the fact that nursing at the breast promotes proper oral and facial development. As far as nursing for comfort, that is a parenting decision not a medical one. I know peds often dole out parenting advice, but take it the same way you would take parenting advice from any other source. Full term or extended breastfeeding is still far from the norm in our culture, so people are going to be full of false "facts" and highly personal opinion. Children do outgrow the need to nurse for comfort. Young toddlers are still more like babies than children. They're accustomed to nursing for nutrition, connection, and comfort. I'd rather my daughter suck on me for comfort rather than her thumb or a toy or blanket. Thumb sucking is a far more detrimental habit as far as oral development and dental health goes and is a lot harder to break (not judging, we all do what we've got to do to get through the days and nights). There's no specific expiration date on when a child no longer needs to suck for comfort. Your LO certainly isn't aware that it's supposed to and neither is mine.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

He isn't my regular pedi - thank goodness. He seemed to want me to put him on a bottle type regime. We do kinda have a shedule, it just is DS's shedule, not one I made.

He eats solids on demand, drinks other drinks in a sippy, and is gaining weight. I think if it is not broke, don't fix it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I nurse DS (19 months) whenever he wants and have no plans to stop until he does. I have gotten a lot of flack for nursing him at night because he has tooth decay...of course they try to blame bottles first and then jump on nursing when they find out I still nurse him to sleep. I am sorry but women having been nursing without brushing at night for thousands of years without problems. He just didn't form the proper enamel on certain teeth. No dentist seems to want to admit that. I have no clue why she would recommend babies nurse on a schedule...we don't even eat food on a schedule. If baby is healthy I don't see any reason to change anything.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My older daughter before she weaned and my current 17 month old nurse on demand.