Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
iheartcruise912
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Really worried that shes not getting enough

DD had her 4 mo appt today and she hasn't gained any weight since her 2 mo. We have noticed than when we give her solids she goes after it like shes starving (I always nurse first). And sometimes I'll be nursing and she gets all mad, breaking off, generally acting frustrated. But a lot of mornings I still wake up really full. I don't pump. And I really don't want to... I'm afraid the doc is going to have us supplement with formula. But I'm even more afraid that my baby is going to bed hungry.

Is it possible to lose your supply in just the 2nd half of the day? If that makes any sense..

Advertisement

DS (9/10) DD (4/13) DD (3/15) NTNP #4

I do graphic design! Etsy shop graphics, bow cards, logos, and more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PolkaDotSquareDesign
iheartcruise912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would take her to the pediatrician's office before nursing, then weigh her & then nurse her (leaving all her same clothes & diaper on her when you did the 1st weight check) then weigh her again. Then you can see how many ounces she is getting in one feeding.

My baby started to gain weight faster by block feeding- one side per feeding this way she gets more of the hind fatty milk.

Dd is 13 months & my supply is always best in the mornings so that is not uncommon. Are you getting enough calories? My midwife & my lactation consultant both told me to make sure I am drinking 1 gallon of water per day & that helps me so much!

Also regarding feeding her solids I am not sure I would feed a 4 month old solids because it is lower in calories & nutrients than breast milk is. If her belly is full of solids ( I know you said you nurse her 1st) then at her next nursing she won't be drinking as much breast milk which tells your body not to produce more. We waited until 7.5 months to start solids.

One last thing look up the Le leche ( <--probably spelled wrong) league & find a chapter in your area and talk to the leader about this weight gaining issue. It is free to do so and they have years & years of breastfeeding support experience.

Hope this info is helpful to you & good luck! & hooooray for breastfeeding your baby!!!
Hugs!

Last edited by Sarah-B; 08-25-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really worried that shes not getting enough

ok question as we just talked about in LLL... Is she nursing and feeling full if you just nurse her? If that is the case then you don't have to give her much solids as 4 months is supposed to be like cereals and 6 months is other foods.4 and 6 months is ok to introduce solids.

I have a 6 month so fresh in my thoughts My 6 month won't take anything but the mommy and literally...no bottles and not really interested in food so I might be doing solids at a year like my SIL.

My middle was the skinny but even after eating she would gain but month to month not a lot as she was a big mover and shaker and even now that she is 2.... brother 6 months and younger sis (2 not my 8 year old) are litterally about the same weight..... kids grow at different ages...

doc can't make you like ours tried to make me stop nursing and formula feed, umm my milk was in and I was helping my baby get enough when baboy boy was jaunndice and obviously is fine now and I didn't give in to formula this time!

hugs and keep trying

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 08-24-2013 at 02:18 AM.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
iheartcruise912
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I decided to pump for one of DD's feedings, and I only got 1.5 oz! So we gave her formula. Took a bit, but she eventually took to the bottle. Then I spent today pumping at the times DD usually ate, while DH gave her formula. To see what I've been typically making through out the day. Aside from the first morning feeding (I nursed for that one), I only pumped 7.5oz !
Going to pump again in the morning and see what I get from that, but it looks like we're going to formula. I would fight to get the supply back, but it's more important that DD gets fed right now.
DS (9/10) DD (4/13) DD (3/15) NTNP #4

I do graphic design! Etsy shop graphics, bow cards, logos, and more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PolkaDotSquareDesign
iheartcruise912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

It is normal to pump less than baby would feed. 1 1/2 ounces the first time is actually really good. 7 1/2 ounces the first day of pumping is more than I have ever been able to get from a pump in a whole day of trying.

My son weighed in at 20 lbs at 4 months(no solids, no formula, no paci, no bottle. just me) so the pumped amount had absolutely nothing to do with how much baby was getting. I produced enough milk to feed twins with my dd. The few times I attempted to pump I got less than an ounce after an hour of trying. I don't know how often you are feeding but try increasing feeds. Even hourly if needed.

You said baby is acting very hungry after feeding plus not gaining. I would do as a pp suggested and do a before and after weight check. This will get you a better idea of what you are actually producing. You can either try at the doctors office or I believe you can rent a scale at a medical supply store. If at all possible do a before and after several times through out the day. I do believe it is possible to produce enough in the morning and to slow down by the afternoon. Yes,if baby is acting very hungry and not gaining,supplementing with formula is definitely appropriate.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
bunnyrevenge
Registered Users

Great advice from Sarah-B! I would additionally have her checked for a tongue tie.
bunnyrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did the weight check thing I described above at the dr office and dd got 4.5 ounces in a five min feed from one side. When I pump I only get 2-2.5 ounces. So I get 1/2 as much when I pump

I say do the weight check,
Continue to nurse her often
When you give her formula pump your breasts
And REMEMBER IT IS NOT ALL OR NOTHING. ANY AMOUNT OF BREAST MILK IS PRICELESS! Not to mention free!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
yoliyoda
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, don't look at the pump and assume that's all the your LO is getting. I learned that the hard way.

One thought I had is your caloric/water intake. I was noticing a steep decline in my supply towards the end of the day. When I assessed everything I realized that I wasn't eating or drinking enough. If there is really a decline towards the end of the day maybe you have the same issue I did?

I know it can be stressful sometime to think you LO isn't getting enough, but use all the resources available to you and you'll make decisions that are best for your baby's health. Why? Because you are clearly a mommy who cares!

<----- It actually works! PM me or click to find out about it yourself!

*** Be a smart mama and order organic chicken, bacon, salmon, and more at bulk prices from Zaycon ***
yoliyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would pump after each nursing which I would make sure are at 3 hr intervals max at this point, then do a formula supplement if necessary directly after pumping. I also make sure to pump right before bed so I don't go as long without pumping/nursing overnight. Have you looked into More Milk and/or Fenugreek and / or the other herbs available to help with supply? Whenever my supply would get low I could hit it with herbs and regular pumping and notice improvement by the second or third day. GL mama!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Op how's it going?