Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Is it horrible to want to night wean early?

I work FT, my hubby is on active duty orders out of state for 9 months (back in Feb.), and I have a baby, dog, and house to care for on my own. My 7mo has always been a frequent eater (every 1-2 hours - even at night - from birth to 6 months). Around six months his day feedings started to be stretched out and sporadic, every 1-4 or 5 hours. He goes to bed between 8-9:30 (usually not while nursing but shortly after on his own) and sometimes will go until 1am or 2am before waking up to nurse but usually hes up at 11pm again and then continues to nurse almost CONSTANTLY until we wake up in the morning. With the pregnancy I now have horrible hip pain so side lying nursing is starting to really take its toll on me (I do use a pillow between my knees and a pillow behind my back for support) and I'm soooo exhausted but I don't know another position that's easier that I can fall right back asleep with. I want to night wean him but feel like everyone says to wait until after a year but I honestly NEED SLEEP! I feel myself lacking in my responsibilities since I am so drained from the lack of sleep all the time.

Advertisement

fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is it horrible? No.

But it might affect supply. Especially if you're mostly pumping since you work ft.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
fbtreanor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it horrible to want to night wean early?

I guess I never was really thought about supply loss! Thanks for reminding me to be aware of that.

I should add that I work as an infant teacher in a daycare center and my son goes there with me So he still nurses all during the day and so part of his nursing all night is NOT attributed to him making up for being away from mama during the day!
fbtreanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Belbaby3728
Banned

He could be having a growth spurt and or sleep regression. Is he teething? May be nursing for comfort then too. Also have you recently started solids? That can make many babies more fussy and not sleep as well. I think I would ask if it would really be easier on you to night wean, your husband isn't home and a lot of moms need their husband's to do nights during those times. As baby smells moms milk and may carry on a fit until you cave and nurse. Just my own experience of trying to sooth without nursing at night. My 20 month old only just started night weaning and I suspect only due to milk drying up from pregnancy.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'll tell you this - dont let him go 4-5 hrs without nursing during the day. Offer offer offer. He's gonna meet that caloric intake somehow and if he doesn't get it during the day, he'll get it at night.

I do understand. My DS is 4.5 months and nurses constantly. I was finally getting a consistent 2hrs at night so I thought i would push him to only every 2 hrs during the day and now we are having nights of hell. 8-10 feedings/wakings a night.

So, I'm trying to nurse more during the day again. Every hour? Whatever!! Let's get those calories!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Both my kids slept 12 hours at night by 3m old. I would pump before bed and in the morning if I woke up before them. I donated what we didn't use. I usually got 10oz each session. No low supply here.
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hum Bums
Both my kids slept 12 hours at night by 3m old. I would pump before bed and in the morning if I woke up before them. I donated what we didn't use. I usually got 10oz each session. No low supply here.
You're clearly talking about a different set of boobs and a different tiny stomach
Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I would offer more during the day and see if that curbs his need to feed constantly at night. Sounds like he gets busy during the day and forgets to eat till he is REALLY hungry. I would offer every 2 hours to see if that helps.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
lily221
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
FWIW, by a couple months old, both of my babes nursed frequently during the day and slept all night without a feeding. And I had an awesome supply. So much I pumped to relieve the overflow and had extra after they weaned. Sleep is important for your health and your baby's so I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with night weaning. Babies have to slowly adjust from the patterns of the womb to the patterns if the outside world, and they all do so at their own (and their parents') pace.

My perspective (which is just an opinion like anyone else's) is that if I got up and had a snack every night, once or twice or more, my stomach and metabolism would become accustomed to such. But if I eat frequent, healthy meals and have balanced blood sugar and no other health issues, even if I have a small stomach, our bodies are made to slow down and rest. Eventually your baby's body is able to do the same. From my daycare, nanny, mothering and life experience, I personally think most babies can do that well before 7 months. It may be a gradual transition, but I see no reason to fee guilty. You can still offer comfort and snuggles and even cosleep. You as the mother have to decide what is best, and your baby will learn. That's what babies do!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
sunlightmlp
Registered Users

No, I don't think it's horrible at all. I night weaned when DS was around 4 months - my supply was unaffected and baby continued to be EBF without issue - gained well and everything. The first night was rough but every night got better and he was STTN within days (I realize this may have been pure luck...every baby is different). As PP have stated, make sure and offer many, many times during the day to be sure the baby gets calories. I know some moms do night feedings for a very long time and handle it like champs, but the prolonged lack of sleep was affecting my emotions. I needed sleep to be a good mother to my son. Once he STTN I felt SO much better. Every family is different - if night weaning will help yours, do it, and don't feel guilty.
sunlightmlp is offline   Reply With Quote