Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Help, he's waking every hour to eat!

I know some of you told me that the 9 hour sleep stretch wouldn't last. I think you cursed me For the last week he's been waking every hour to eat, before that it's been every two. I have the No Cry Sleep Solution book but nothing in it would really work. He's only 4 1/2 months and though I did Ferber with my daughter, I won't do that until he's 6 months. His crib is side-car'd to our bed. He nurses in bed with me but Co-sleeping isn't an option as it's on a double bed with a feather topper and it's getting cold so lots of blankets.
My husband works long hours so I can't ask him to tend to him, and anyway, he's not the type of baby that likes being patted or bounced or rocked. He wants to just nurse and then sleep. He already falls asleep on his own (he's a thumb sucker) when I put him down for bed, we have a white noise machine, he's dressed ok, room is dark. It just seems like he wants to eat and wont go back down without his snack. If I let him fuss too long he cries really loud and it wakes my toddler. I'm thinking maybe moving him to his own room but it involves taking the crib apart and putting it back together and I'm afraid that I'll just be having to get up out of bed every hour to feed him. Is there anything else I can do?
Good thing he's so cute, or I might trade him in for a different model lol.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 10-16-2013 at 08:09 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is he eating or just soothing himself back to sleep? When my kids nursed that often at night, I tried to wake them up a little more so they'd get a full feeding instead of just snacking and waking up 45 minutes later. It helped most of the time. Anything else going on? Teething, maybe?

It's also a common age for sleep regressions, sometimes you just have to ride those out.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Ola_
Registered Users

Re: Help, he's waking every hour to eat!

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. Also, possibly a growth spurt. I found this article (and the whole site really) to be really helpful. It reassured me that sleep is not a constant and things happen that will affect it and cause improvements and regressions.

http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006...t_are_sle.html
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression and growth spurt. All my kids did this at 4 months old. Hopefully it will not last long for you. Two of my kids went right back to sleeping well. Two developed insomnia.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, this is so similar to what is going on right now with my almost six month old. No advice for you, but tonight if you're up every hour, take some comfort that I'm out there doing the same thing!
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I hope it's just a regression. I do think he might be teething too. I guess I'll just stick it out as I really don't want to move him out of our room until at least 6 months. He was a little better last night - every 2 hours.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's normal and it'll pass
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like my first born except I let it go on till he was 12 months. Consider Ferber. The sooner you do it the way less painful it is. He may cry for only 5 minutes and go back to sleeping though the night. If he went 9 hours you know he can.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz
Sounds like my first born except I let it go on till he was 12 months. Consider Ferber. The sooner you do it the way less painful it is. He may cry for only 5 minutes and go back to sleeping though the night. If he went 9 hours you know he can.
CIO is not suggested under atleast 6 months of age. Babies sleep patterns change and a 4 month old should eat sooner than 9 hours
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote