Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How can I get her to eat??

I'm at my wits end. DD just doesn't eat her school lunch.
It's an ongoing problem. When she started Kinder, she bought lunch cause we thought the variety would be good for her. Nope. she never ate. So I resorted to packing food every day.

She still does not eat. I tell her what I'm packing the night before most times and she Okays it.
Like last night we had Chinese. She ate it up. So I told her I was packing fried rice and chicken. she said ok. i even told her I was taking the peas out cause she won't eat them. She said ok.
This morning I reminded her I took the peas out and what she had to eat. Ok mommy.
She comes home and didn't eat but one bite of chicken When I ask her why, she said cause she didn't like what I packed and she didnt know if there were any peas. i call bull****.

It's frustrating. IDk what to do anymore. Let it go? Let her pick? (I have done this and she still doesn't eat the next day)

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
poppan
Registered Users
seller

My DD gets distracted by wanting to play. She is also a slow eater and picky. Many days she does not eat at school. I have the philosophy of it is my job to offer a balanced meal and they eat what they need. She eats well at home for other meals.

Only other thought is that it took me a while to figure out that part of her objection to her lunch was it not looking/smelling right (school cafeteria lunch--she won't even sit at the same table as kids eating school lunch), or food being at the wrong temperature (I.e. hot foods were lukewarm and other foods were not cold enough).
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How can I get her to eat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
My DD gets distracted by wanting to play. She is also a slow eater and picky. Many days she does not eat at school. I have the philosophy of it is my job to offer a balanced meal and they eat what they need. She eats well at home for other meals.

Only other thought is that it took me a while to figure out that part of her objection to her lunch was it not looking/smelling right (school cafeteria lunch--she won't even sit at the same table as kids eating school lunch), or food being at the wrong temperature (I.e. hot foods were lukewarm and other foods were not cold enough).
thanks. DD is the same: easily distracted, slow eater and picky. I had to tell her that it's okay to finish eating when her friends are already done and ready to play. she has said that she was still hungry but everyone is finished. but other times, she just doesnt eat even when she has time.
Today she even came home with her snack So bascaially all day at school she had a couple bites of chicken.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My sons are like this. I just give them a snack when they get home. They do not focus on eating or are picky. I just keep packing lunch and hope for the best.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Let it go and feed them when they get home. Same problem here. Not for the same reason. Kids will eat when they get hungry so I keep providing it and they'll eventually eat.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Same issue here too. My son (1st grade) rarely eats anything at school. I pack him exactly what he wants (within reason of course), and he generally eats none of it. Our rule is he eats it when he gets home, b/c he comes home very hungry. So as soon as he walks in the door, he downs his lunch and then asks for a snack.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
risata
Registered Users
seller

Have her make her own lunch. If that doesn't work, pack a small snack and if she starts eating that then start packing more.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

Let it go, or you will make yourself crazy. Have healthy snacks ready for after school. My oldest daughter had trouble eating at school when she was younger. She got easily distracted and didn't use her time well. My 2nd daughter, it turns out just does not want variety or anything interesting. She will eat a PBJ or cheese sandwich, apple, and carrots for lunch every single day.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBurrows
Let it go, or you will make yourself crazy. Have healthy snacks ready for after school. My oldest daughter had trouble eating at school when she was younger. She got easily distracted and didn't use her time well. My 2nd daughter, it turns out just does not want variety or anything interesting. She will eat a PBJ or cheese sandwich, apple, and carrots for lunch every single day.
This

Some kids just won't eat at school. I never did. Just have a healthy breakfast in the morning and a healthy snack ready for after school
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd is 4. She likes to be involved in making her lunch. And if she doesn't approve it it doesn't go in. Luckily she loves veggies and healthy food for lunch. However she is very nervous of me overpacking her lunch. She also won't buy lunch either. She said the lunches are huge and she is afraid they will make her eat it all. Last years policy was they had to eat all of their main entree. Which for jerks a lot. She is more of a snacky eater. Maybe try some small bits. Like cheese and crackers. How do you pack it. Stella has a bento box and everything is right there for her

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum