Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
mamaspice
Registered Users

My dd is unvaxed, breastfed,, and has multiple severe allergies including peanut and tree nut. So vax's are not the direct cause in our case. Also no antibiotics in her past.

I have been trying to make heads or tails of possible causes and treatments. I don't yet know if I believe that the allergies can be healed, but perhaps the underlying issue can be or the immune system can become less reactive somehow.

The only article I have seen on peanut oil and vaccines was on a website that didn't look very credible to me.

However, whenever I read studies in which allergies are studied in mice, the scientists use a combo of the allergen plus a toxin (cholera, aluminum, and "endotoxin" are all ones I've seen) in order to create the allergy in the mice so that it can be studied. So it makes sense to me that the increased toxicity of our environment and food supply could be contributors. Perhaps those with allergies are less able to detox or have a higher toxic load for some reason (genetics?). The toxins used as adjuvants in vaccines could certainly contribute to that especially if the are going directly into the bloodstream with another vaccine ingredient like egg, lactose, peanut, etc.

The other common denominator seems to be gut health and intestinal permeability. If the gut allows too big of particles through, the body recognizes it as an invader and creates antibodies against it. This can be caused by an imbalance of bacteria, poor diet, food intolerances, poor digestion, yeast, additives or chemicals in food, etc.

Add your thoughts...

Advertisement

Last edited by mamaspice; 09-01-2013 at 09:59 PM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sure, I'll stir the PB pot.....

The way I see it is that one person reads on story on the internet on an anti-vax conspiracy site saying that there is hidden peanut oil in vaccines causing allergies. That person tells a friend who tells another friend who posts on a message board that there is definitely peanut oil in vaccines. That post is read by another person and suddenly there is an entire community of people worrying about peanut oil in vaccines. The problem is that that initial story has absolutely nothing credible to say for it. No citations to anything that would make it anything other than a fear inducing paper. Considering how regulated vaccines are and the fact that they list every possible that even comes near a vaccine. Out of every possible ingredient, they leave out peanut oil - have been covering it up for many decades, long before the prevalence of peanut allergies in the US? Forget the number of people who actually work in the manufacture of vaccines. These people are normal, average individuals who aren't "big pharma." If there were peanut oil in vaccines, you couldn't keep that a secret. It would be known and not just in a random posting on a website full of conspiracy theories. But, someone posted it on the internet, so there will be those who believe it and spread it.

As far as allergies, I have a lot of thoughts on them, some that won't be very popular. In a great many cases, I believe that "allergies" are not true, diagnosed allergies. When I was young, grapefruit made my throat tickle. No swelling or anything, but I would get a little tickle and honestly I didn't much like grapefruit anyway. So, I grew up telling people I had an allergy to grapefruit. As a nursing student a few years ago, I had to go through the school records for allergic kids and call parents. It was amazing the number of children whose parents claimed a serious peanut allergy who had nothing from their pediatrician and no epipen or even a doctor order for benadryl. Allergic? Hard to say given how seriously I know some take their children's allergies. So, in all honesty, I think there are fewer true allergies than people believe there are.

As for the causes of true allergies, I don't have a good explanation.

Last edited by z2akids; 09-01-2013 at 08:23 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #23
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
The way I see it is that one person reads on story on the internet on an anti-vax conspiracy site saying that there is hidden peanut oil in vaccines causing allergies. That person tells a friend who tells another friend who posts on a message board that there is definitely peanut oil in vaccines. That post is read by another person and suddenly there is an entire community of people worrying about peanut oil in vaccines. The problem is that that initial story has absolutely nothing credible to say for it. No citations to anything that would make it anything other than a fear inducing paper. Considering how regulated vaccines are and the fact that they list every possible that even comes near a vaccine. Out of every possible ingredient, they leave out peanut oil - have been covering it up for many decades, long before the prevalence of peanut allergies in the US? Forget the number of people who actually work in the manufacture of vaccines. These people are normal, average individuals who aren't "big pharma." If there were peanut oil in vaccines, you couldn't keep that a secret. It would be known and not just in a random posting on a website full of conspiracy theories. But, someone posted it on the internet, so there will be those who believe it and spread it.

As far as allergies, I have a lot of thoughts on them, some that won't be very popular. In a great many cases, I believe that "allergies" are not true, diagnosed allergies. When I was young, grapefruit made my throat tickle. No swelling or anything, but I would get a little tickle and honestly I didn't much like grapefruit anyway. So, I grew up telling people I had an allergy to grapefruit. As a nursing student a few years ago, I had to go through the school records for allergic kids and call parents. It was amazing the number of children whose parents claimed a serious peanut allergy who had nothing from their pediatrician and no epipen or even a doctor order for benadryl. Allergic? Hard to say given how seriously I know some take their children's allergies. So, in all honesty, I think there are fewer true allergies than people believe there are.

Boy, I wish I were making it up. We have a positive allergy test, epi prescription, and observed reactions that I wish were a figment of my imagination.

I will agree that people use the term "allergy" to describe different levels of severity and also various intolerances. All of them are not life threatening and all do not necessecitate an allergen-free environment. But surely lying parents can't fully account for the increase in frequency and severity of true IgA allergies.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

I agree in a way. My paediatrician will not do allergy testing unless they have had a reaction after eating something. He said he himself will show an allergy to fish on an allergy test but he eats it for dinner 2-3 times a week.

I think some people suspect allergy, get tested which shows many many allergies so then they avoid everything, which is fine.

My daughter ate peanuts, had a horrible reaction that sent her to the hospital at 18 months. She then had a positive allergy test at 19 months, 4 years and we are doing a food test in the next couple years as well
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

People claim allergies to many things they don't like. It's the easy way out apparently to being a picky or to not offending the in-laws/friends. If people stopped practicing this habit the word "allergies" would be resigned to it's medical indication... Of an ACTUAL allergy, not the polite way to say "I don't like your cooking; it's sucks!"

For me, I have had the misfortune to suffer anaphylaxis more than once over the years and carry an Epi-pen. My allergies are in fact "real"... And really life threatening.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has had no vaccines, and was breastfed for 13 months... and has a severe peanut allergy with a high risk for anaphylaxis. In his case it was likely inherited, as there is a family history.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #27
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I have wondered for a long time if it's simply a survival of the fittest thing. Did kids with allergies this severe just die before reproducing "back in the day" whereas now PB is banned and all these warnings, etc about when what and how to introduce it, epi pens, etc...causing all these kids to grow up and have kids themselves, therefore passing it onto another generation?

Or do the statistics just not support it?

I have a cousin with a dh who has allergies and now all 3 of their kids have these awful milk, nut, etc allergies and I can't help but think there is another generation it's passed onto. Not trying to offend anyone but I know it's a touchy subject.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #28
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I have wondered for a long time if it's simply a survival of the fittest thing. Did kids with allergies this severe just die before reproducing "back in the day" whereas now PB is banned and all these warnings, etc about when what and how to introduce it, epi pens, etc...causing all these kids to grow up and have kids themselves, therefore passing it onto another generation?

I have a cousin with a dh who has allergies and now all 3 of their kids have these awful milk, nut, etc allergies and I can't help but think there is another generation it's passed onto. Not trying to offend anyone but I know it's a touchy subject.
Interesting theory. My allergy experience is seemingly genetic. I am allergic to the cephalosporin antibiotic group and so is my oldest DD.

And no one get bent out of shape by this....but in the vein of using "allergy" as a loose term, I once heard someone call gluten intolerance a rich person's disease.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

There are a lot of things that are very widely eaten today that weren't back in the day. Revolutionary War times, people didn't really eat peanuts -- they were grown more as animal food than people food, if I recall correctly. People grew and ate more oats and barley than wheat. Again, there has been so much food that has been genetically altered, but our bodies have not altered in what we can process.

Now, as far as the peanut oil in the vaccines, I have heard several people either with a severe peanut allergy themselves, or a child with one, who are able to eat foods fried in peanut oil, so would the oil in the vaccines cause a reaction? My mom's allergist told her the same things in regards to coconut oil -- that the proteins that typically cause a reaction are not present in the oil. He did tell her she might still react, but that she was just as likely to not, even though she is allergic to coconuts.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post

Several flaws with this theory. The biggest one being that there is no rhyme or reason to inherited allergies. There is a genetic link to being at risk for allergies but there is no correlation to the allergies themselves and/or severity of reaction. Having allergies (any allergy of any severity) puts your children at a slightly higher risk of having allergies (again any allergy of any severity). Someone with a life threatening food allergy can have a child with a very mild grass allergy. And someone with a mild dust allergy could have a child with a life threatening nut allergy. There is no correlation what so ever between the specific allergy and severity from one generation to the next. The only correlation is that some one with allergies will more than likely have at least 1 child with an allergy. I personally have multiple envir allergies and no food allergies of any kind. My dd has a life threatening peanut allergy. We have a family history of enviro allergies, no food allergies and no family history of ANA to any allergy until you get to my dd.

Like pp said we are being introduced to foods that we not available in the past. Peanut butter did not become a household name in the US until the 70's. Peanuts aren't the only food that has been introduced to large populations relatively recently. You now have large populations being exposed to things that they never would have been exposed to before.