Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 601
Help me get my LO to sleep!

My littlest guy is almost five months...DS1 was a wonderful sleeper (still is) so I never had any issues. Littlest guy is EBF and wakes up at least 2-3 times a night. The only way I can get him to sleep is by nursing him, but I sure would like him to sleep longer stretches....5-6 hours would be nice.

Things I've tried that have failed miserably:
paper diaper at night
multiple diaper changes
cuddles when he cries
paci
daddy getting up and changing his diaper
swaddles
a lovey
bamboo fitteds and wool at night
muslin sleep sacks

I need some ideas, I really need some zzzz's.

Advertisement

mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: Help me get my LO to sleep!

That's actually normal, especially for a EBF baby. Milk goes through their system pretty fast so they need to eat every couple of hours. My dd is 6 months old and still nurses several times at night. However, she sleeps in bed with me so she doesn't wake up, she just nuzzles for my breast and I pull her close
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
rosefall's Avatar
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,733
My Mood:
I agree that that is age-appropriate night waking.
__________________
Mommy to DS 8-23-08, DD 9-19-10, and DD 11-25-12. I'm probably
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 444
Will be following this thread as my Lo is doing the same thing even though I'm pretty sure this is normal. Hang in there mama.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
kanga1622
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,153
DS1 woke every 2 hours at night until we nightweaned at 18 months.

I'd say it is completely age appropriate. DS2 might give me a 4 hour stretch once in awhile but it is usually followed by 2 hours of being awake in the middle of the night. I'd rather be up shorter amounts of time than be cognizant from 2-4 am.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
__________________
Married since 2002, Mama to DS1 since 03/2010 and DS2 since 06/2013. We BF, ERF, and CD. Always missing our little angels: 05/09 and 09/12.
kanga1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Silver)O(Moon's Avatar
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,343
My Mood:
Re: Help me get my LO to sleep!

All my EBF babies STTN around 8 months with no prompts from me. I think they just need a little more time developmentally. I agree that co-sleeping makes this a lot easier on mom! You can try adding a feeding during the day and see it that give him a longer stretch at night before waking for food.

However there are a lot of sleep training books out there that say you can start after 4 months - Ferber, Weissbluth, Baby Whisperer. If you are really desperate you can look into something like that, though it will involve some tears!
__________________
Mom of six boys
DS(18)DS(15) DS(13) DS(5) DS(2) and Baby DS
who are the love of my life and the bane of my existence all wrapped up in one wonderful wacky package.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 601
Re: Help me get my LO to sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon View Post
All my EBF babies STTN around 8 months with no prompts from me. I think they just need a little more time developmentally. I agree that co-sleeping makes this a lot easier on mom! You can try adding a feeding during the day and see it that give him a longer stretch at night before waking for food.

However there are a lot of sleep training books out there that say you can start after 4 months - Ferber, Weissbluth, Baby Whisperer. If you are really desperate you can look into something like that, though it will involve some tears!
I couldn't bring myself to let him cry, he is my little cuddlebunny, I always give in, I'm a sucker for my sweet little guy.
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalusbear View Post

I couldn't bring myself to let him cry, he is my little cuddlebunny, I always give in, I'm a sucker for my sweet little guy.
Don't think of it as giving in, but responding to his needs. Nursing to sleep isn't the end of the world. Neither is co sleeping. These are not unbreakable bad habits that set your child up for a lifetime of "sleeping failure". All things are changeable! My 2 older coslept as necessary and happily sleep in their own beds 99% of the time at 4 and 2. My second nurses to sleep but no longer requires it. The first year is rough in a lot of ways. Sleep is a big one. But this too shall pass. Good luck!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 601
Re: Help me get my LO to sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Don't think of it as giving in, but responding to his needs. Nursing to sleep isn't the end of the world. Neither is co sleeping. These are not unbreakable bad habits that set your child up for a lifetime of "sleeping failure". All things are changeable! My 2 older coslept as necessary and happily sleep in their own beds 99% of the time at 4 and 2. My second nurses to sleep but no longer requires it. The first year is rough in a lot of ways. Sleep is a big one. But this too shall pass. Good luck!!

My first guy was such a great sleeper, I just assumed DS2 would follow in his footsteps .
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
sandrc
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,069
Re: Help me get my LO to sleep!

it will pass. my youngest woke every 2 hours until she was almost a year old then it was every 3-4 hours. she's now 25 months and wakes 1 time a night to come get in bed with us. she is fully weaned though. my oldest was breast fed until she was 3 and she woke more often and slept with me so she fed when she wanted to.
just hang in there and try and sleep when baby sleeps and have dh to take over for a couple of hours in the evening if he can so you can catch a nap.
__________________
WAHM Wares http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1535280
Ask about custom size children's undies!
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.