Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What items do you do brand new for each successive baby?

We didn't replace anything. (Beyond the super obvious consumables like toothbrush and breast milk storage bags, etc). DS2 got to reject the same pacifiers that DS1 rejected and he used the same bottles and nipples. If I had twins, I am sure the two of them would be using the same pacifiers and nipples, so I don't see much difference there. We put everything in the dishwasher and it seems to come out reasonably clean. I used the same breast pump - I didn't even replace any tubing (probably should have?). I think the only thing we needed for baby 2 was a double stroller.

Interesting about the crib mattress; I haven't read anything about a used mattress and connection to SIDS. It wouldn't really occur to me to buy a new one unless the first was still in use. We got a decent organic one and good cover with the idea that it would be used by two children.

Advertisement

BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pretty much the only thing we bought for YDD is a double stroller. Everything else is being reused, bottles, nipples, pacifiers, etc. It's all basically brand new other than a few of the bottles because ODD didn't take pacifiers really, and didn't use the bottles much. There isn't much that is so worn out that I wouldn't use it for YDD. We kept all ODDs clothes, shoes, etc. Everything. I'm sure we'll have to buy some weather appropriate clothing in certain sizes as YDD was born a few months after ODD's birthday, but other than that...we need for pretty much nothing. I did buy a sling probably before she was conceived because I didn't like the Moby or the other carrier I had.

ETA: We'll probably have to buy some teethers. We had two for ODD and one the dog chewed up and the other is missing.

Last edited by gehagge; 09-03-2013 at 01:55 PM.
gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Each child gets a brand new special lovey blanket when they are born. Other than that I just replace stuff as needed as it wears out, expires, etc. I would reuse binkies, but they are always MIA before the new baby comes along.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

When we have another baby, we'll move DS into a toddler bed (apartment living!) and the mattress will go with him. If our next is a girl, she'll get new bedding and clothes. That's it!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The only things we replaced between DS1 and DS2 were binkies and bottle nipples. The binkies, because we tossed them when DS1 quit taking them and the nipples because they looked kind of dingy after sitting for two years. Everything else was reused. If this next one is a girl, we'll buy some new clothes, but that's about it.
Mama*Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My boys are 23 months apart and we used all the same clothing, bedding, crib, toys, pump, exersaucer, etc. We bought new carseats, stroller (sold single and bought double), bottles, pacifiers. DS2 did some new clothes and toys along the way just cuz I didn't want him to have ALL hand-me-downs...not that its bad...just had mommy guilt.

DD1 came when DS2 was 3 so we still have the same crib and mattress (but co-sleep so not in use), and toys but purchases a new to us single stroller, new bucket carseat, clothes (some used/some new), new bottles, new pump, new jumperoo.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I'm actually surprised that not more people replace crib mattresses. I'm paranoid of SIDS anyway, but once I read some on the correlative numbers (NOT causal, I'm not saying that at all), it made up my mind. Also, DD slept in tacrib until she was probably close to 2.5 & has stayed on the same mattress w/ crib converted to daybed & she's 3.5 now...that mattress has a little DD-sized dip in it that she cocoons herself into every night--it just doesn't seem that would be right to pass on to a new baby. Likewise, DD got much more pee, puke, etc. on her mattress than she ever got in a car seat (even though it's a waterproof cover). Now, if we co-slept & babies rarely, if ever, used their cribs, I would likely think differently.
This baby is getting a new to get crib mattress. The one we had is almost eight years old and falling apart. But I don't worry about sids in relation to the crib mattress because aside from our oldest our kids don't move into the crib until well past sids age. They sleep in our room in a pack n play for almost the first year.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
risata
Registered Users
seller

Just pacifiers and bottle nipples between my first two kids, pacifiers because they got thrown out after DD1 weaned off of them, and bottle nipples because after 3 years I was concerned that they might be starting to break down (after being used, washed, and stored. Wouldn't feel that way about new ones that hadn't been used at all.) DD2 didn't take a pacifier so I'm pretty sure we don't have any, and I think I threw out all the bottle nipples when she stopped taking a bottle, so I'll get those new for this baby. Nothing else gets replaced unless it's worn out or expired.

Last edited by risata; 09-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
risata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bottle nipples, I read that as your baby gets older the hole can stretch so slow flow may no longer be so slow. Otherwise we are basically reusing everything. We will get new paci's if the new baby takes them.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us, it seems that each baby gets their own car seat.
Otherwise, they reuse everything else!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote