Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Camping with LO's

The boys are 3yrs and 15mo. Dh wants to go camping and I'm really excited, I love camping. But I'm also kinda scared about what we are getting into with the kiddos. Any words of advice?

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
CHoney
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Camping with LO's

Have fun! And be prepared for dirt covered boys! My boys are 2 and 4, and they love camping. We brought bikes, shovels, pails, and cars, and they had a blast.

My favorite items to bring are diaper wipes and lots of snacks. I brought snack containers to bring snacks to the beach and on the trail. We kept food super simple and clean up simple, as we were tenting.

I also brought a laundry bag to keep all our dirty clothes together. Some things I forgot were a couple kids books to read at bedtime, cards for DH and I to play, and ketchup!

Are you tenting or in a trailer?

Last edited by CHoney; 09-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
CHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
CHoney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and dollar store glow sticks were a big hit at night!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

What kind of camping?
We trailer camp with kids as young as a few weeks old so I can give lots of tips for that but not so helpful with a tent - lol
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

They will have a blast, and pass out exhausted every night. You probably will too, especially with a 15 month old
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

We go tent camping every so often. From the ages of 3ish up, they always have a blast. Mobile babies under 2, for me are kind exhausting to keep up with, lol. But the overall benefits outweigh the pain in the butt. We have never had a bad camping trip. But I don't do it much when I've got one that age.

I have no specific tips that I can think of. It really depends on how you like to camp. We usually stay near a public restroom with shower, so we bring towels and toiletries. The younger kids usually enjoy very simple things, like gathering sticks/wood for the fire. Hiking,or just picking up rocks and finding bugs.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/

Last edited by MsBurrows; 09-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are tent camping at a state park. Chose one about 30 min away. We are going tomorrow to scout sites. I'm so excited.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can put a pack n play in the tent for the baby to sleep in.
Ditto glow sticks.
And ditto the wipes. We went camping this weekend, and I told Dh our new rule was always bring 1 more package of wipes than you think you need. I brought 2 pkgs this weekend and it was close at the end.
If you have any choice, getting a site near the bathrooms is wonderful. 2 choice is near a play area. If you can get near both, that is great!
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

We took our boys camping aroundnthat age. But it was trailer camping, so I don't have any tips specifically for tenting. I let the 3 year old help plan the meals, so it was a lot of junk, but I was ok with that for one weekend out of the year. He loved cooking his hot dogs over the campfire! He also loved fishing. DS2 enjoyed it but wasn't able to do a whole lot of stuff. I brought some games too in case it was raining.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
safghf
Registered Users
seller

We have tent camped with both of ours since around 8 months and up. They love it! Going into the mountains in two weeks and we can't wait (we live in the desert and need cool weather breaks!).

They don't need much. The outdoors are the best playground. Bring shovels, buckets, flashlights, glow sticks, bug nets, etc. Bikes, scooters, etc are great if you are in a campground. We like BLM sites primarily, but campgrounds are fun with kids.

We generally put the kids on the outsides and DH and I sleep in the middle of them. We put them in sleeping bags with blankets on top since both of ours tend to kick off covers, and a big blanket underneath to keep them warm from the ground up.

Seriously you can't go wrong with camping and littles! Just make sure to pack a good first aid kit and bring Benadryl. It's the only thing I worry about, being in the woods and learning my kid is allergic to bee stings or the like.

Have a blast!
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote