Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mothercare room

What do you expect from a place labeled mothercare room? I thought that term was expected to mean a place for a mom to nurse her baby, but today I was at the mall and decided to try their mothercare room for the first time since I had both kids with me and I wanted to be able to keep my ods contained : giggle:

Anyway it turns out the "mothercare room" is a handicapped bathroom. It does have a changing table, but so do the other bathrooms. There was no chair or anything. Not even a lid on the, toilet.

I was kind of miffed. Why even bother pretending? My pessimistic side suspects they want to be able to refuse moms nursing in the mall, and if someone makes a stink they'd be able to say they provided a place. But I mean, really?

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mothercare room

Weird. Maybe you should send a letter to management and tell them the things you'd rather see. It may not help you, but it may help another mama down the line.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

why the double post?

Last edited by danielle; 09-03-2013 at 05:01 PM.
danielle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ours doesn't have a chair either-it's a glorified family restroom. Changing table and potty with a door that locks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
jasminegrl
Registered Users

honestly after living in Japan for 3 years i miss their mommy/nursing areas. They have play toys for older children, changing tables, scales for weighing your little one, chairs for bottle feeding, and then they have separate areas for females only for nursing. In some places that don't have curtains for nursing they will have a sign on the door that says moms only and males have to wait outside.

http://www.tokyourbanbaby.com/2012/0...ing-rooms.html
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegrl View Post
honestly after living in Japan for 3 years i miss their mommy/nursing areas. They have play toys for older children, changing tables, scales for weighing your little one, chairs for bottle feeding, and then they have separate areas for females only for nursing. In some places that don't have curtains for nursing they will have a sign on the door that says moms only and males have to wait outside.

http://www.tokyourbanbaby.com/2012/0...ing-rooms.html
Wow, that's awesome. I had to laugh that the room featured in the link got a rating of 4/10. Oh what they would think of the place I was at today!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Weird. Maybe you should send a letter to management and tell them the things you'd rather see. It may not help you, but it may help another mama down the line.
I thought about doing this but I guess that's why I ask what people expect from "mothercare". Do many people assume only changing facilities? (Which shouldn't be called mothercare anyway, IMO. Dads change diapers too!)

Last edited by marenmccoy; 09-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Ours doesn't have a chair either-it's a glorified family restroom. Changing table and potty with a door that locks.
Oh, and the lock was weird, too! No lock on the inside, and to get in you needed to punch in a code that you get by calling mall security.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
cbreeding
Registered Users

I would assume a Mothercare room would be a place for a mother to deal with her children in an enclosed, private (at least semi), and relatively quiet room. It's for feeding (bottle or nursing), changing station, maybe a bathroom stall (although I would tend to think of that as a family restroom), a comfy chair, and maybe something to occupy an older child. I certainly would not expect a glorified bathroom.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
risata
Registered Users
seller

I would expect a room where I could feed and change a baby. I've never come across what OP described, except as labeled as a family bathroom.

ETA I would expect there to be a table or hook for me to put my purse and/or diaper bag, and a comfortable chair to sit in.

Last edited by risata; 09-03-2013 at 07:55 PM.
risata is offline   Reply With Quote