Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Dealing with the naysayers?

Smile and nod. They've all swallowed their piece of humble pie by now. We've been CDing 3.5 years now through two kids. Their "you won't make it a week" comments have all bitten them in the butt by now.

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

People have flats and pins and plastic pants in their minds, dunking their hands in toilets to wash away poop, buckets full of stinky wet diaper in the house. Lets admit...we might not all do it if that scenario was reality! What worked for me was education - showing them modern cloth diapers. Most people thought they were awesome! Even simple PUL covers with velcro show how easy it really is. Pull out your cutest fluff, or keep a couple pics on your phone. Then say, "Oh its really cute and not hard...here let me show you!" You may go on to the dealing with poop topics but again, lots of modern conveniences there. Just spray it away into the toilet and wash them every other day. Easy peasy! And if they are still negative, just shrug and say, "Well we are excited to try it anyway. I'll let you know how it goes!" with a big smile.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! This is all very good advice. Nice to hear how you handled it. I am just going to keep a good sense of humor and let it roll off my shoulders. I think once they see it on the kiddo that they will think it's pretty neat.
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I just bring up how much money I'm going to save and they usually shut up.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

I get very mixed comments. Everything from 'Wow, those are cute' ' I bet that saves alot of money!' 'Its nice to see Real Diapers!!' and then.... 'do they smell?' 'ummm how do you clean those?!! What about the poop? Do you have to touch the poop!!' 'what about when your out? Do you still use them?' 'dont cloth diapers leak?'
'wow, I couldnt do that!'
Or...
'hmm I think ill get some cloth and try...!' (our pediatrician just had his first baby and hes almost a cloth convert! He was totally checkin out LO diapers and said he wants to make the switch)
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Ill add... I show otger parents how easy it is to change (pad folded flats in covers!) I take the flat, unfold it and show them how simple it is to fold and assemble. Then I tell them how easy flats are to care for, and lastly that there are lost of options so if they dont like flats there are choices
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
dani_p
Registered Users

Honesty time: Those people are the reason a disposable diaper has never ever touched my daughter's bum. I feel the need to prove myself to naysayers... "IN YOUR FACE PERSON I DON'T EVEN KNOW!" As if anyone even cares about what catches my daughter's poo! Yeah, i've got issues. I'm working on it.
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1
I get very mixed comments. Everything from 'Wow, those are cute' ' I bet that saves alot of money!' 'Its nice to see Real Diapers!!' and then.... 'do they smell?' 'ummm how do you clean those?!! What about the poop? Do you have to touch the poop!!' 'what about when your out? Do you still use them?' 'dont cloth diapers leak?'
'wow, I couldnt do that!'
This was very much my experience in the beginning especially. We've been using cloth for 9 months now and will definitely not be going back to disposables. I've had interested family and friends ask me to show them how our cloth system works (which I love doing) and most people come out saying that they want to do cloth when they have kids in the near future. I have 1 friend who is using cloth now and another who has already signed up for the diaper service for the first few months at least. All the positive questions and even the negative comments are great chances for educating people on how great cloth can work. It has surprised me how many people have come to me once they are expecting asking for information on cloth because they are thinking of using it. My mom, who was skeptical of them in the beginning (a ya lets see how long you do that for opinion), loves the cloth diapers and even brings it up to people when we are visiting.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just don't talk about it. I don't think people notice his diapers or they think they're bloomers or something.

In the beginning evveeerrryone told us we'd never last. 15 months, no desire to use paper, and planning on using cloth for baby #2. Mil still can't let it go.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Wow. Exactly what everyone else said. It sounds like we all have the same experiences and have tried all the same approaches. I never brought cd up, and when it came up I did a lot of the "we'll see how it goes" line--which somehow seems to make people feel better, especially the ones that have guilt issues like Pixi6s was talking about. After I'd been doing it for maybe 6 months or something and I had weathered a cd storm I felt much more confident talking about it. It's hardest before your to-be-cd'ed baby is born and people look at you like you are some kind of idiot and amateur for even thinking about it.

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote