Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
My four year old's annoying mannerisms

Just recently she's started talking really fast, without breathing or swallowing. So every 10 words or so, she takes this short, gaspy, squeaky breath of air. It sounds like hiccup. Then when she's done talking, she's got saliva running everywhere and does a slurpy, sucking thing to get it all back in her mouth. I can barely stand listening to her talk anymore. What can I do?

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My four year old's annoying mannerisms

Um, I am so sorry. I have no suggestions but that would drive me NUTS!!!!!! It is these times I feel like an awful mother, because I probably wouldn't be able to talk to her for more than 20 seconds before I wanted to walk away...

My 8 year old (!!) has a few really annoying mannerisms that make me want to beat him, and they aren't nearly that bad. (He likes to do thi weird thing with his spit and have it bubble and sit on his lips then suck it in. He also randomly shoves his fists into his armpits and gets his shirt bunched up in there? Same with his groin area. Just shoves his hands there, pushes up all the pants and goodies, and has that awkward I really have to pee look even when he does not have to pee...)

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 3.5 year old has some very annoying mannerisms too. It can be very frustrating.

In your case, I might try pretending that you literally have no idea what she's saying. Even if you can figure it out, pretend she is impossible to understand unless she slows it down.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My 4 yr old likes to talk nonstop in a screaming voice that is also whiney. He drives us batty. He constantly is griping, demanding, or whining about something that he wants, his brother is doing, or he cannot do. We want to sell him to the gypsies, but we know they would only return him in 30 seconds.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I would just be like, "Hey, C, I can't understand you; you gotta remember to speak slowly, breathe, and swallow." Talk about the concept of breath control and how speaking and swallowing go together, it's impolite to slurp. But assuming that she's affecting this style on purpose, I would be pretty clear that I couldn't converse with her until she talked normally. I wouldn't punish her per se for the fast talking, but I would only respond to things she says normally.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I would just remind her constantly to slow down, breathe, etc. Ex-df's ODS didn't slurp or anything, but he would try to talk wayyy too fast and then he would stutter. When I would tell him to relax, breathe and take his time, it stopped. That's the only suggestion I have. "Mama isn't going anywhere honey, it's not a race. Relax. Count to three and breathe, then try again."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
My 4 yr old likes to talk nonstop in a screaming voice that is also whiney. He drives us batty. He constantly is griping, demanding, or whining about something that he wants, his brother is doing, or he cannot do. We want to sell him to the gypsies, but we know they would only return him in 30 seconds.
I thought my son was napping, but sounds like he's at your house!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've demonstrated the noises that I don't like, and then asked her not to make them. In doing that, I've explained to h
Her that she needs to talk slower and breathe normal, and then she wouldn't have to make that noise to breathe. I've reminded her a dozen times today at least. So now, she just talks slowly until she's out of breath, then sucks in a huge squeaky breath. I'm not sure how to teach her to breathe quieter/slower. Its funny and frustrating at the same time. I may use the suggestion to not 'understand' her until she makes normal sounds.,
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh View Post
I thought my son was napping, but sounds like he's at your house!
I think they are here today. DS was rotten. I keep getting glimpses of good days in the hopes it will be outgrown.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Ha!!!
I tell mine we cant/wont talk to her, when she is like that...
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote