Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Microwave or Toaster Oven?

My microwave is due for replacement. I hardly use it - maybe twice a week? Scratch that - I use the timer for time outs and as an extra timer when my stove timer is in use. But cooking with it - hardly ever.

What does the world of DS think of scraping the microwave and opting for a counter top oven/toaster oven?

Advertisement

NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Cobained
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Microwave or Toaster Oven?

I love my toaster oven, but we do use the microwave too. Mostly used microwave for popcorn, until I found out how bad that was and how easy stovetop popping is! Now mostly use it to reheat leftovers as its faster than the toaster oven. But if our microwave died I'm not sure I'd replace it either.
Cobained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We use the microwave often for re-heating leftovers so it'll probably be difficult to just stick with an oven.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
miriamleigh
Registered Users

We haven't had a microwave for a few months now. I haven't really missed it honestly. We reheat leftovers in our regular oven or stove top. I'm thinking about getting a toaster oven eventually.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

we were a microwave reheating addicted family. the microwave died a few months ago and I waited a few weeks and finally replaced it with a toaster oven. we love it. dh who was having bad withdrawals and doubts on how the toaster oven would work even admitted he really likes it and the food is better when it's not dried out in the microwave. the kids don't seem to miss it either. they did at first because they always nuked their grits or oatmeal but I taught them how to heat water on the stove and it works just the same.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have both. Some foods are just better in one over the other. One makes it crispy but takes awhile & one makes it hot faster etc.

ETA- we originally got our toaster oven to reduce the amount of heat put off by a full sized oven just to heat a smaller meal.

Last edited by mom2LBJ; 09-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrc View Post
we were a microwave reheating addicted family. the microwave died a few months ago and I waited a few weeks and finally replaced it with a toaster oven. we love it. dh who was having bad withdrawals and doubts on how the toaster oven would work even admitted he really likes it and the food is better when it's not dried out in the microwave. the kids don't seem to miss it either. they did at first because they always nuked their grits or oatmeal but I taught them how to heat water on the stove and it works just the same.
This. We haven't missed the micro.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

I have neither. Trashed the microwave many years ago. Never have had a toaster oven.

It took me a week to get used to no micro.

I use a timer on my phone when needed.

I love the extra counter space.
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for neither. We have had both in the past and between lack of use and the amount of space they take up, it just wasn't worth it. I prefer heating food up in the oven anyway, and we have an air popper for popcorn.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

They aren't really interchangeable, but toaster ovens are glorious. Plus, if you pre-portion your cookie dough and keep it in the freezer, you can have fresh baked cookies anytime.

My dream kitchen will have a microwave/convection oven hybrid, but those cost something like three grand. This house isn't worth that.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is online now   Reply With Quote