Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: If you're atheist or non-Christian...

I am Pagan. We celebrate Easter for the Easter Bunny, Christmas for Santa Clause, and that is it for Christian holidays. We do have an alter in our living room and celebrate all the Sabbats. December is a fave because we celebrate Yule and then Christmas. The last few years my parents have even recognized Yule as an important holiday for our family and will buy the kids a gift.

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
addicteddad
Registered Users

We celebrate "Christmas" in the same way our culturally Christian extended families do. We get together, exchange gifts, eat, drink, and tell stories. For as long as I can remember, it's never been a religious holiday, although my mom has taken to claiming it as such in the past few years since she found out I'm atheist.
Easter we treat as another opportunity to get together with family to eat, drink, and celebrate spring time.

I've also wanted to start utilizing Christmas time for family vacations, but its been elusive since we don't live near my family, and they always want to get together to do the holidays and ds1's birthday. My efforts to include them in our vacation plans always get thwarted with financial excuses.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529 View Post
Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

We celebrate Easter because it's just plain fun.
same here. we dont celebrate Easter other than hiding gifts and coloring eggs. we do presents on Christmas and for St Nick. we do it as a tradition type thing of celebrating as a family but no religion is brought up.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2sammy View Post
Hopefully we are not raising terribly confused children.
A little confusion isn't a bad thing. Just gives them something to puzzle out when they get older. (And some fun family stories to remember when they're grown.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

I celebrate all of the holidays I grew up celebrating. For me it is cultural. My extended family all celebrate these holidays, and I enjoy passing the traditions down to my children. I see no reason to give it up.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same as pretty much everyone else so far. I am Christian but dh is an atheist. I have been told I am a very bad christian. When the time comes we will teach all religions, but for now we avoid all religion because we think they are too young to get into different theology. We celebrate Halloween- I mean really, really celebrate Halloween, its probably a bigger deal than Christmas to us. We LOVE Halloween. Then we celebrate all christian holidays from a non-christian standpoint. Some names we interchange like Easter and spring celebration. Really, since most Christian Holidays overtook the Pagan holiday date we try to make sure we use both names for the holiday. Just recently we have started including in other cultural holidays and/or traditions related to holidays. Dia de los Muertos is going to be a natural for us since we love Halloween so much.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, but minus the Jesus talk.
I have fond memories of Christmas and Easter as a child.
For me it's about family, food, giving, and presents.
I obnoxiously call it Giftmas.

Christmas and Easter are very mainstream holidays, and have pagan origins anyway.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529 View Post
Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

We celebrate Easter because it's just plain fun.

Hijacking again!

We do St. Nicholas day and it is SO much fun!! There is a small Danish store here that goes all out with activities and it's a blast.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We so Halloween, thanksgiving (if we are invited somewhere) and very small birthdays.

No other holidays. Xmas is just another day. We don't do dinner, gifts or tree
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Banana Cat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I were both raised Catholic, but became agnostic/atheist before we met each other. There are always huge family get-together on Christmas, Easter, etc, so we attend those for the fun and socialization. We go to the pumpkin patch for Halloween and set up a tree for Christmas, but leave the religion out of it. Our daughter is still very young so any religious symbolism is completely lost on her--grandma gave her a stuffed lamb for Easter and she was just like, "OOh, a sheep!" Holidays are just fun tradition for us; both our families are out of state so it's really just nice to have an excuse to visit everyone .
Banana Cat is offline   Reply With Quote