Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
giraffasaurus0903
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
^that

Advertisement

giraffasaurus0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Katesela
Registered Users
seller

I agree with what others have said, there are no vegan police! Do what feels right to you. There is a ton of variation among vegans on all sorts of things.
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vegan Wool

Some of the information posted is not particularly accurate. Most breeds of sheep don't shed their wool. A few of the primitive breeds (Icelandic, Shetland, Soay) still do (called rooing), but even a large number of sheep in those breeds have had that characteristic bred out of them. I have friends who keep Icelandics and they all have to be shorn. Merino, which is a popular wool breed, do not shed their wool. Ever. They have to be shorn. There's a story circulating about a sheep that went feral and wasn't shorn for years and his fleece at shearing was huge and heavy. I also don't think it's true that all sheep kept for their wool are bred to be wrinkly. Some sheep are a bit wrinkly - merino is. Just like some dogs are wrinkly and some people are wrinkly. But having the wrinkliest sheep around doesn't work out well come shearing time. Wrinkly sheep are harder to shear, meaning you'll likely end up with more second cuts, and a fleece that won't command as high of a price. Also, the assertion that all sheep farmers shear too early causing half their flock to freeze to death and the other half to die of heat stroke also seems like a farmer that lacks business sense. In a business with such small profit margins as wool farming, doing things that cause significant portions of your flock to die on a yearly basis seems like it would cost you money. You'll make more money per head if you keep your sheep alive. This is not to say that there aren't places that treat their animals poorly. There surely are. But, there are lots of small farms who care deeply for their sheep and take very good care of them. If you'd like ethically raised and produced wool, you can surely find it with a little bit of digging. It might cost you more, but you know you're supporting small, ethical producers. Sustainably and ethically raised wool does far less damage to the environment than the production of its synthetic replacements. And if you care that much about sheep, then you'd also have to research all clothing brands for their ethical production, because factory workers are at least as valuable as sheep.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
But, there are lots of small farms who care deeply for their sheep and take very good care of them. If you'd like ethically raised and produced wool, you can surely find it with a little bit of digging. It might cost you more, but you know you're supporting small, ethical producers. Sustainably and ethically raised wool does far less damage to the environment than the production of its synthetic replacements. And if you care that much about sheep, then you'd also have to research all clothing brands for their ethical production, because factory workers are at least as valuable as sheep.
This is what I was getting at. I don't see anything wrong with animals treated humanely and the information I was stating was more towards large farms.

And I completely agree with ethical production, however my question wasn't really about saving the sheep as much as what do Vegan Cloth Diapering Mamas think about using used wool soakers and such. I am just interested in opinions on that matter.

I am only just beginning this journey and researching the brands I already buy is a task I've been sifting through.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesela View Post
I agree with what others have said, there are no vegan police! Do what feels right to you. There is a ton of variation among vegans on all sorts of things.
Of course I know their is no vegan police, nor am I basing my lifestyle choice based upon vegan guidlines. I was simply being cute in the way I was asking a question about opinion on Vegan Cloth Diapering Mamas
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaP View Post
What is a Faux Vegan?
I'm just being cute

I'm not making a decision based upon responses here. I'm genuinely curious about opinions of other people. I like to hear lots of ideas and thoughts.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were vegan I would continue to use wool products I already own. The cruelty has been done for those pieces to exist and I wouldn't want those sheep's suffering to be in vain. I would not buy recycled wool products because that still creates a demand for wool products. The exception being items that would otherwise be thrown out.

I am not vegan, but I do appreciate the concerns for the treatment of animals. My family works hard to buy humanely treated animal products.

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and Nate (Mar 2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How about just using fleece or PUL.

If the practices around wool collecting make you uncomfortable, then don't use it. Keep what you have, but don't buy more, new or used.

My mixed lot listed here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post17149541
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
chamise
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsybikes
How about just using fleece or PUL.

If the practices around wool collecting make you uncomfortable, then don't use it. Keep what you have, but don't buy more, new or used.
^
chamise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I think buying used wool would be acceptable. That puts no money in the wool industry itself. However, using wool products continues to "advertise" their advantages to others and that may be something you want to avoid as others many not be able or willing to upcycle wool products. Like if you turn on a friend to the benefits of cloth diapering with wool and she goes and buys new stuff. Not super likely, but something to keep in mind.

I had a hard time with this one as a vegan (no longer vegan but we were for a year, mostly for health reasons). Mainly because fleece and PUL are not biodegradable and not easily recycled. I was drawn to using natural fibers but wondered how to reconcile it with our new lifestyle. I have heard that certified organic merino must follow humane practices but I didn't research it much. Perhaps you can look into that?
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote