Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Prepping GMD flats?

What works best for you? I don't have the attention span for on the stove so in the washer would be best. I know super hot several times. But I don't remember how many times or when to use soap.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Prepping GMD flats?

3-4 washes usually did it for me. I always just put them in with regular diaper laundry and separate them by feel until I can't anymore. But, if I were getting a whole new stash and starting over, I'd just wash and dry them with soap each time.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yup it's an all new stash
Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
mamaspice
Registered Users

Seemed like my unbleached ones took a long time to reach full shrinkage and absorbency. Like they seemed so huge at first and now seem much smaller. So I'd err on the side of more prepping or do a few prep washes and then change frequently.

ETA: Wash once on cold with tiny bit of soap, then 3 wash/dry. Although I like to wash twice for every dry. After the first couple washes you can throw them in with other diapers or towels.

Last edited by mamaspice; 09-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They do seem really big lol
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I washed my flats twice and was done with it. I did expect to change more frequently for a week or so. I also expected a bit more shrinkage as well. All was good to use.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

detergent every time and dry between every time ideally. Hot water and detergent more effective for stripping natural oils. As far as number of times, at least 2, up to 5 depending if you want closer to full absorbency. If washing with other clothes/towels then don't worry about water temp as much -- the more washes done of hot with detergent the closer to prepped they will be.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 09-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
wholesomemomma
Registered Users
seller

I did 4 hot washes with detergent and dried in the dryer in between washes for my new stash of GMD large flats a bit ago. They worked perfectly.
wholesomemomma is offline   Reply With Quote