Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

Lunch Box Ideas

So....here we are in the second week of school and I am already frustrated with what to make for my kids lunches.

My DS's are 3 & 6 and are in preschool/K full day. My little guy will not eat sandwiches and I try to avoid the bread for my older one (I feel like there might be a gluten thing).

So, the easy things are carrot/celery sticks and fruit and yogurt. Those can be included but they are already getting antsy with the meat rollups and buttered noodles.

What do you send in your kids lunches?

Advertisement

sizzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
kanga1622
Registered Users

Grilled chicken

Pulled pork with sauce on the side

Diced ham and cheese

English muffin, tomato slice, cheese, pepperoni (make their own pizza)

Waffles with nut butter

Salad with dressing on the side

Hummus and veggie sticks

Quinoa or pasta salad

Wild rice with mushrooms

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
sizzlemom
Registered Users
seller

I love the waffles with nut butter! I might try to make waffles this weekend. I sent chicken and he ate some of it - will definetly try that again.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
knitinnorcal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lunch Box Ideas

I hate making lunches. but it is the only option my ids will NOT eat the junk they serve at school. We are lucky and do the bread thing but we are a nut free house ( me) so the usual doesn't work. They like ham and occansionally I can sneak some cucumber in. Snacks I pack as many times a week as they will let me , snow peas or carrots and ranch, cheese strings and goghurts ( frozen) other than that its pretty basic gold fish or a cookie. Its harder for the older ones as they are there longer. But I hate lunches
knitinnorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
knitinnorcal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like the idea of pasta salads I could do that. my oldest will eat the tuna pouches also
knitinnorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
liliyana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter started Kindergarten this year, and claims that she likes the lunches I pack better than the school food. Almost every day, I pack a thermos for her with hot food. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 I often fill it with spaghetti, noodles, pierogies, potatoes, or something along those lines and top it with pieces of leftover meat from the prior night's dinner (roasted chicken, meatballs, sausage, chopped leftover pork, pot roast, etc.) - she loves it, it always comes back empty, and she says it's still good and warm at their 12:20 lunchtime. On the side, I include little containers of things like cheese cutouts (flowers, hearts, whatever), Chex mix, watermelon, yogurt, whatever seems to work out that day.
liliyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a thermos so we do leftovers- tomorrows lunch is left over chicken noodle casserole and soups. My dd can't have dairy or nuts so you'll notice a lack of cheese and nuts in our lunches.

Sunbutter and jelly sandwiches and/or wraps
mini waffles with homemade strawberry syrup
pigs in a blanket
french toast sticks
stir fried rice with eggs and veggies included
boiled eggs with whatever veggies- we usually make egg people so they have carrot stick hair and red pepper strips on the side, olive eyes
appetizer lunch- olives, red peppers, carrots sticks and salami (dd is crazy about salami), lightly steamed brocolli, cucumbers
homemade lunachables, homemade wowbutter/sunbutter crackers
wraps- apple and sun butter, ham, chicken salad with grapes. Blue diamond almonds are the only nut she can have so before her room went nut free she would eat almond butter and pear wraps
cheeseless pizza- she eats it cold but her room does have a microwave if she wants to heat it.
Apple sandwiches- http://www.thekitchn.com/snack-recip...-kitchn-183079 we do this with sunbutter. or you can do use sweetened cream cheese in place of the peanut butter- you'd probably want to do carrots and raisins and skip the granola. Almond butter would be really good too.

If they like cucumbers and cream cheese you can slice cucumbers and use them as your "crackers" with cream cheese in the middle. You can slice the cucumbers length wise and spread cream cheese, hummus or something like palmetto cheese in between and make a "sandwich". Do they like lettuce wraps? You could do tuna, chicken salad, your lunch meat, chicken Cesar whatever. My kids like hamburger patties in their's but that requires the burger to be heated outside of the lettuce when they are ready to eat.

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-08-2013 at 06:37 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

100 Days of Real Food posts her kids lunches on Facebook nearly everyday. We don't have school age kids yet, but I pull a lot of ideas from her anyway
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
RnWA
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for this post, I'm new to making lunches and need some inspiration!
RnWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
LadyR28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988
100 Days of Real Food posts her kids lunches on Facebook nearly everyday. We don't have school age kids yet, but I pull a lot of ideas from her anyway
I second 100DORF. I love her blog.