Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Name our kiddo!

Help! I need some new ideas...

We are having a girl and I have no idea anymore what to choose as a name. I thought it would be easier... but nope!

I love unique names ... but ones that are not totally unfamiliar if that makes sense. I also like the name to have a great meaning... And... nothing too frilly.

Something simple, strong and interesting... that means something.

Any ideas!?

Advertisement

mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Re: Name our kiddo!

Can you give us some suggestions of names that made the list but have been cut for whatever reason? It will help to narrow it down!
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Astrid, Audrey, Matilda, Tilda, Valerie all have meanings of strength.

I really like nature names, flower names, stone names.

Violet, Rose, Opal, Ruby, Jade, Stella, Luna, Willow...Etc

I named my dd Evelyn Victoria Moon. Evelyn means light or hazelnut or wished for child (and Lyn is my middle name) Victoria means victory (which is also the meaning for Nicole, my first name) and Moon is a family maiden name and means Moon, of course.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I ever got my girl (which I didn't) her name would have been Willow Collette. I also like the names Cecily, Penelope, Piper and Hazel.
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I printed out 2 copies of the Social Security top 1000 names. I weeded through and made a list of the ones I could live with. DH weeded through and made a list of the ones he could live with.

We then made a list of the names we both were ok with and put it on the fridge. As we went through the week, we crossed out the ones we really didn't love. It was down to Kailey and Kendall. Kailey is SIL's dog, so Kendall won.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also scoured the social security website for ideas. We ended up choosing Keila (or Kilah, Kyla, Kylah) and just love it. It wasn't on the list in the spelling we chose. Other names I loved were Delilah, Halina, Evelyn, Madeline (pronouncing line), Lorelei and I can't remember the rest. Middle name is Jo after mine/my mom/great aunt middle name. We are ttc right now and if we have a girl I would love to use Halina this time with the middle name May/Mae after my grandmother.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 View Post
Can you give us some suggestions of names that made the list but have been cut for whatever reason? It will help to narrow it down!
We liked the name Keira but it essentially means dark ... And husband wasn't 100% about it because his mom's good friend has the same name.

I like Cordelia... Means: daughter of the sea. And we could call her Cora or Delia. My best friend didn't like the association with those TV shows Buffy and Angel... But I figure our kids won't really ever make the connection (and also, I liked the shows back in the day! Haha). I just worry that it sounds too... Harsh?... As a name. What do you ladies think? I was thinking her middle name could be Pearl... I love old school vintage names and Cordelia Pearl has a nice ring to it.

We also liked Charlotte but I don't like that's so common.

Hazel and Sonja were on the list too.

I just keep talking myself out of every name! I had no idea that it would be so hard! Help!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

How does your husband feel about Cordelia? I think it's pretty and works well with Pearl. I liked Buffy back in the day, too! But Cordelia is an old name, not one made up by Joss Whedon, so you have that going for you, plus it has so many nickname options.

With a possibility like Cordelia, I would make a few lists of other names including boys names so that you can see whether it fits your style (assuming you might have other children).
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyegon View Post
We liked the name Keira but it essentially means dark ... And husband wasn't 100% about it because his mom's good friend has the same name.

I like Cordelia... Means: daughter of the sea. And we could call her Cora or Delia. My best friend didn't like the association with those TV shows Buffy and Angel... But I figure our kids won't really ever make the connection (and also, I liked the shows back in the day! Haha). I just worry that it sounds too... Harsh?... As a name. What do you ladies think? I was thinking her middle name could be Pearl... I love old school vintage names and Cordelia Pearl has a nice ring to it.

We also liked Charlotte but I don't like that's so common.

Hazel and Sonja were on the list too.

I just keep talking myself out of every name! I had no idea that it would be so hard! Help!
The best thing about Cordelia is the association with Buffy!
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote