Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you can?

If so, what have you done, and what do you have left to do? I have been water bath canning this summer, and will be getting a pressure canner for my birthday next week. I am so excited to can soup!

Advertisement

hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you can?

We knew we were moving this year so we didn't plant as big of a garden as we usually do. This year all I have canned was strawberries- did syrup, sauce and jam. I didn't bother with my blueberries this year because we were doing so much work on the yard to get our house on the market. We didn't plant enough tomatoes to really can any. Last year I pickled a lot of stuff (we have a glass top stove and I could not get my pressure canner to maintain pressure- its a common problem with glass top stoves). And water bath canned apple pie filling, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and triple berry jams, strawberry and blueberry syrups and tomatoes. I was looking forward to canning green beans and carrots but had the problem with the pressure canner. Hopefully our next house will have a gas stove.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I canned stewed tomatoes this morning and I just heard the last can seal. I did 4 different kinds of jam, peaches, tomato sauce, applesauce, and now stewed tomatoes. I would like to do more peaches but I am having a baby any day so we will see.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have canned pickles; relish; pie filling; peaches; pears; pizza sauce; spaghetti sauce; ketchup; chilli; and diced tomatos- I have also frozen sweet corn; beans; broccoli; peas; carrots; squash; zuchini; pears; rhubarb; peaches; and cherries
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've done peach butter, apple butter, pear jelly, peach jelly, applesauce, pear sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup, pickles, cowboy candy, monkey butter, pears and peaches. My cupboards are full of yum! I just started this year and am super excited about tasting the results!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
We knew we were moving this year so we didn't plant as big of a garden as we usually do. This year all I have canned was strawberries- did syrup, sauce and jam. I didn't bother with my blueberries this year because we were doing so much work on the yard to get our house on the market. We didn't plant enough tomatoes to really can any. Last year I pickled a lot of stuff (we have a glass top stove and I could not get my pressure canner to maintain pressure- its a common problem with glass top stoves). And water bath canned apple pie filling, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and triple berry jams, strawberry and blueberry syrups and tomatoes. I was looking forward to canning green beans and carrots but had the problem with the pressure canner. Hopefully our next house will have a gas stove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
I have canned pickles; relish; pie filling; peaches; pears; pizza sauce; spaghetti sauce; ketchup; chilli; and diced tomatos- I have also frozen sweet corn; beans; broccoli; peas; carrots; squash; zuchini; pears; rhubarb; peaches; and cherries
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
I've done peach butter, apple butter, pear jelly, peach jelly, applesauce, pear sauce, tomato sauce, ketchup, pickles, cowboy candy, monkey butter, pears and peaches. My cupboards are full of yum! I just started this year and am super excited about tasting the results!
Man, you women are amazing. I want to be like you when I grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz View Post
I canned stewed tomatoes this morning and I just heard the last can seal. I did 4 different kinds of jam, peaches, tomato sauce, applesauce, and now stewed tomatoes. I would like to do more peaches but I am having a baby any day so we will see.
Okay, so how do you even have the energy to can when you're hugely pregnant? I am in complete awe of you.

AFM: The kids and I spent all day Monday canning peach jam. 38 pints, 8 half pints. That's it. I'm done. Not doing any more. My in-laws always do a bunch of canning, and if I had people that were actually helpful, I'd probably do more.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKingdom View Post

Okay, so how do you even have the energy to can when you're hugely pregnant? I am in complete awe of you.

AFM: The kids and I spent all day Monday canning peach jam. 38 pints, 8 half pints. That's it. I'm done. Not doing any more. My in-laws always do a bunch of canning, and if I had people that were actually helpful, I'd probably do more.
I haven't done more than a canner load at a time... except one of the times I did tomatoes.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKingdom View Post

Yeah, we don't can that much at one time. Last summer it seemed I was canning almost every day, but I'd rather do that than do a massive amount at one time.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I've wanted a pressure canner for years. For right now it's just whatever can be waterbath canned. This year I did bread and butter pickles, tomato sauce, salsa, applesauce, grape jelly, peaches, and strawberry blueberry jam. I wish we had done more but I worked SO much this summer and the garden didn't do as well as we had hoped. I did free*e(that's a broken key for me) swiss chard, kale, green beans, sugar snap peas, *ucchini, and summer squash in baggies which I do have a lot of. But a pressure canner would help so much with the soups I've got taking up too much room in my free*er in mason jars.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
So far this summer I have canned salsa, sweet pickles, sweet and sour pickles, garlic dill pickles, dilly beans, green beans, baked beans, chicken stock, chicken soup, french onion soup, veggie beef soup, peach slices in light syrup, chili tomatoes, potatoes, peach jam, strawberry jam, strawberry rhubarb jam, cinnamon rhubarb jam, blueberry jam, blueberry syrup, cherry jam, peach pit jelly, sweet red pepper jelly, grape jelly, apple sauce, apple butter, pulled pork.

I still have more apple pie filling and apple sauce to do! I'd also like to do cubed butternut squash.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote