Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you can?

I haven't bought a pressure canner yet, although its next on my amazon list. I was going to buy it, but then I ended up buying homeschool items. Lol. So right now, I have only waterbath canned. I just started last year, so I am still learning. Most of what I canned was over a couple week period last month, so I don't have a ton canned. My garden was a fail, so it was mostly what I could buy and was a good enough deal to buy (I had to buy more jars too, so that cost had to be factored in as well).

I've canned diced and whole tomatoes, ketchup, watermelon jelly, watermelon rind pickles, sliced plums, plum bbq sauce, and an easy recipe I found for polish plum butter (powidla sliwkowke), which I've never had before.

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Whiskandwhimsy
Registered Users
seller

So glad people still can. It's a wonderful art form! I canned with my mom growing up and got a pressure canner for Christmas last year but I'm nervous to use it without instruction I have canned tomatoes, salsa, dill pickles, and jalapeños since they just need a hot water bath. I wanna can green beans. One of the only veggies my husband eats
Whiskandwhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskandwhimsy View Post
So glad people still can. It's a wonderful art form! I canned with my mom growing up and got a pressure canner for Christmas last year but I'm nervous to use it without instruction I have canned tomatoes, salsa, dill pickles, and jalapeños since they just need a hot water bath. I wanna can green beans. One of the only veggies my husband eats
I wish I had someone who lived close who knew how to pressure can to help me the first time... way better than an instruction manual!

Those of you who do pie filling, do you use clear jel? I'm thinking of going at it with no thickener and just adding that when I make the pie.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used corn starch- the recipe was designed for canning. When I open the jar I just have to stir it and dump it into the crust. Dot a little butter on top and cover with second crust. It looks clumpy from the corn starch but after it bakes its not, comes out perfect- this is apple pie filling. Haven't tried any others because other than peach its the only kind of pie we like. For peach we just use canned peaches anyway.

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-12-2013 at 09:06 AM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a pressure canner! Ordering weights now.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have Concord grapevines, so we canned for the first time today, grape jam. Nick and I are going to a canning class tomorrow for fun, doing plum chutney.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just did some water bath canning the last few days (learning from an aunt)- peaches, stewed tomatoes, and salsa. Also made refrigerator pickles and four kids of freezer jam (raspberry, strawberry, rhubarb, and "surprise" raspberry-- tomatoes and raspberry Jell-O). It was so much fun. I've got the canning bug now!
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really want a pressure canner too!!! but at the same time, I am glad I have canned what i have this year and I do want more.... I am sooo ready to put it away for the year, it is deffinitly a little tricky trying to get canning/gardening (since thats where I get my stuff to can) done with a 1 year old running around...
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
I really want a pressure canner too!!! but at the same time, I am glad I have canned what i have this year and I do want more.... I am sooo ready to put it away for the year, it is deffinitly a little tricky trying to get canning/gardening (since thats where I get my stuff to can) done with a 1 year old running around...
Yeah. Nap time just isn't quite long enough to get it done.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
jandk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't do any canning this year, as I did a double batch of everything last year. Here's what I have, though:

diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, peaches, pears, prunes, applesauce, cinnamon apple sauce, green beans, salsa, pickled jalepenos, dill pickles, pumpkin chunks, blueberry jam, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, peach jam, cherry jam, bbq sauce, apple butter, enchilada sauce, meaty marinara sauce, and peach lemonade concentrate.

I'm so glad I decided to have a crazy double canning year last year, as being pregnant and standing over a hot stove all day during summer would have been miserable this year!