Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gender reveal party?

We're expecting baby #3 in the spring. We already have more than enough stuff for another baby save for some clothes if this happens to be a girl (I'm not holding my breath on that). I don't really care to have a baby shower this time, so I'm considering throwing a gender reveal party instead. I love throwing parties and think it would be a fun way to celebrate the baby without a shower.

Anyway, has anyone done one or been to one? How did it go? What did you like best? What didn't work out so well? Any other thoughts, tips, or tricks?

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gender reveal party?

We are gonna do a blessing way/Diaper party. I have everything from my last 2 babies, one of each gender, but still want to recognize this baby as it's own being. So I thought a blessing way would be fun and a way to bring people together. I always get "what do you need" so I'm just gonna say, bring the bead and diapers would be appreciated!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We tried to do a Diapers and Dinners party with DS2, because we really didn't need anything then either. My SIL insisted on throwing a shower, so we compromised on a casual co-ed to stock the freezer or add to the cloth diaper fund. It was a disaster. She sent the invites out super late, didn't explain what the party was, etc. The people who brought food, thought it was a potluck, so they brought party food. We got several packs of sposies because she didn't tell people we were using cloth.

I'd rather just throw my own "celebrate the impending baby" party of some sort.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always wanted to go to one, but no one I know has ever had one. I've only ever seen them online.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

They are just like a shower with a gender reveal. So you aren't avoiding a shower..?

I've been to 10?!! I am burnt out on them! Hahaha!!! But every single one has been a shower WITH a big gender reveal. To be honest- I hate them. I would much rather buy PINK or BLUE stuff then green and yellow (let's be real- if you have a girl you will be packing so much pink crap on her she's not gonna see a gender neutral outfit for a long time) so it's a waste. My current two friends who are not finding out (it's both their thirds after 2 same sex kids) are doing sip and see AFTER the baby comes, for that very reason. They actually want gender specific stuff not a bunch of greens/yellows. Lol. Even if you say you don't want gifts people bring them!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
They are just like a shower with a gender reveal. So you aren't avoiding a shower..?

I've been to 10?!! I am burnt out on them! Hahaha!!! But every single one has been a shower WITH a big gender reveal. To be honest- I hate them. I would much rather buy PINK or BLUE stuff then green and yellow (let's be real- if you have a girl you will be packing so much pink crap on her she's not gonna see a gender neutral outfit for a long time) so it's a waste. My current two friends who are not finding out (it's both their thirds after 2 same sex kids) are doing sip and see AFTER the baby comes, for that very reason. They actually want gender specific stuff not a bunch of greens/yellows. Lol. Even if you say you don't want gifts people bring them!
A couple of acquaintances have thrown them and said theirs we very un-shower-like. They didn't have any gifts.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I helped my sister throw a small one for her second child. Her husband could not come to the ultrasound and this was a fun way for her to tell him and the rest of the family. I made her cake and helped her put it together. It went great.

I am throwing one for this baby. They are a lot of fun. If you are on pinterest start a board there. So many fun ideas! My mom is throwing me a shower later, mostly to help get clothes since I got rid of everything. I will just tell guest they do not need to bring a gift and just come enjoy the party.
whitneywalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim

A couple of acquaintances have thrown them and said theirs we very un-shower-like. They didn't have any gifts.
Crazy! Where do you live? Another regional thing I am guessing
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

We did a gender reveal for this baby for the exact reasons you want to do one. It was NOT a shower. My grandma brought one small gift - a couple of blankets and burp cloths she had sewn up for the baby but there were no gifts otherwise. We held it at our house and we really just wanted to have a way to celebrate the baby without a shower. I mean it's the fifth kid. She's still very special but I'm pretty much showered out by now. lol I served food that was pink and blue, hung pink and blue streamers, and got a cake from a local bakery that was chocolate with the middle frosting layer the pink color.

The only thing I would do different is find a different way to announce the gender. This pregnancy, food coloring is just nasty tasting to me so I couldn't stand half the frosting on my cake. lol But really that was just particular to me and a food issue *I* am having with this pregnancy. Our was co-ed and even though DH and I already knew the gender I still teared up when I cut into the cake. lol

I kept it pretty simple and we all really enjoyed it and I enjoyed that some of our closest friends and family could be part of the celebration with us.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

Crazy! Where do you live? Another regional thing I am guessing
I'm in the Seattle area. It must be a regional thing. I know of lots of babies born in the last year and only two acquaintances have done gender reveal parties.