Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How far do you live from your hospital?

I've been reading a few threads this morning and now I'm super paranoid something bad is going to happen and I'm going to bleed to death. Lol We're moving in a few weeks and our hospital will be an hour away, but there's a smaller hospital in our town as well. No L&D, but another hospital at least. I've never had any problems carrying at all so I'm not sure why I'm so paranoid. :/ Would you feel uncomfortable in this situation? I feel ridiculously silly!!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How far do you live from your hospital?

I think statistics put serious life threatening complications during pregnancy at like 1%. You should be fine.

We live across the street from our local hospital. As my husband works there, we planned it this way.

However the doctor and hospital I prefer to deliver at is 1 1/2 hours away. In te event of a situation as described in the other post I would go across the street for help. Or the whatever hospital is closest when trouble like that presented if we are traveling.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my baby in July but I was VERY high risk for a number of things. However my hospital is 1 hour away... longer during election season or with road construction and traffic.

I wasn't that concerned. Just make sure your doctor knows and pay attention to EVERY little thing. If in doubt, go to the hospital.

Good luck! It is very doable if you want it to be.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies. The hospital I delievered at here was 45 minutes away but I'm paranoid about an extra 15 minutes lol. Granted it'll be a longer drive in the middle of winter up there, but I'll probably end up with a scheduled c sec too. So even more planned. If you were in my place would you go to the small in town hospital if anything happened?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If something serious is happening a small town hospital is better than a long wait. They can air lift you out if needed.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I had a similar situation....small local hospital down the street (mostly used for people who are either waiting for a bed in the care home or recovering from illness/surgery and dont need to be in a bigger centre) with the city being over an hour away in good driving weather. Our only concern was giving birth on the highway, has happened to alot of women this year! If I had a major issue I would have gone to the local hospital as that is where the chopper lands in an emergency!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 10/15 minutes from hospital depending on traffic. It is a good size hospital but no NICU (that is 1 and a half hours away). I couldn't make it anywhere else probably because I seem to underestimate my labor and always arrive fully dilated. I don't think I could do a one hour drive fully dilated, but other than that concern, I wouldn't be worried about the drive. Also, in an emergency, you can always call an ambulance and the they would begin treating you immediately (and you'd be treated the whole way to the hospital).
Old 09-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yea I'm not too worried about the labor aspect. I have some pretty good prolapse problems from DS getting stuck when I was in labor with him, so I may be having a scheduled c sec this time. I really want to avoid completely prolapsing and having to have reconstruction and possibly hysterectomy at 23.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

We're about forty minutes from the hospital were delivering at. There is a local hospital five min down the road. We're scheduled for a repeat section this coming Monday. I'm not at all concerned.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Forty five minutes. My last baby came in 20. My Ob is hilarious and said he will meets on the side of the interstate if necessary. He won't induce me just to avoid a car birth, thankfully.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote