Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
punkyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Culture sharing

I was just wondering if anyone else out there shares cultures (like kefir grains and scobies and such). I met someone who wanted to buy some milk kefir grains off me and I refused to let her buy them. I thought I should just share them since they multiply fast and it seems odd to sell them. Now I was looking on craigslist for water kefir grains and a lady told me she'd sell them for $10 a half teaspoon! I thought it was quite greedy. I understand sometimes you buy the stuff online, but to recoup your costs by selling the multiples?! Am I the only one who finds it really sad that you cannot share some surplus with others ?

Advertisement

punkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Culture sharing

It depends on who it is. I share with family, friends, people I've been chatting with. I have offered to sell some to total strangers and by sell I mean offered to trade them for some of the produce out of their garden. And $10 for that little bit seems very high. There are a lot of people around here who sell online.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
punkyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lost the thread, lol. So I am not the only one who thinks about actual sharing of cultures. I thought for buying, it is one thing if you buy from a company with reputation and support but for someone on craigslist, it just seemed odd.
punkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
That does sound weird to me. I wouldn't buy them from someone I didn't know. I would offer them to anybody who wanted them. If a friend gave me something like that, I was reciprocate with a small gift (cookies, jam) as a thank you, but not money. Related, I'm about to make a large purchase of heirloom seeds, then harvest them at the end of each season from my produce. Since I hope to end up with hundreds, I plan to distribute them for free with the request that it be passed forward. Same with strawberry runners that I plan to cut and pass along to a neighbor.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Momma Z.
Registered Users

I agree. And, I wondered if you might be interested in trading some milk kefir grains for some kombucha mother? My kombucha is out of this world!

... and then I noticed that you live on the other side of the country...

Last edited by Momma Z.; 10-06-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: I'm new to this :) didn't think about how far away you lived!
Momma Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmm... does it survive mailing? Because I'd totally be up for trading a jelly jar of apple butter or peach butter or pear jelly for some starters...
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Milk kefir grains do survive mailing,if you are careful. The best way is to bag them in a small ziploc with a little milk,then bag it again(jic). Send it priority on a Monday to make sure the package doesn't get stuck at a post office on the weekend.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
StBrigidsAcademy
Registered Users
seller

I just started my water kefir grains a week ago and I know I'll either be sharing or possibly freezing extras soon. I can't imagine charging for something I got free and multiplies for free. It's like Amish Friendship bread but cheaper and less putsy.

My friends share a 1/4 c starter grains, so buying smaller amounts sounds ridiculous unless it's dehydrated? That does take time, and she probably wants something for her efforts to provide for strangers. But when it comes to friends and family, put it in a baggie and hand it over. Giving the gift of wellness!
StBrigidsAcademy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wish I had local friends who did it!
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote