Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Taking a meal after surery

Help me decide on something! A friend of ours Dh is having surgery this morning and I'm taking them dinner Friday. Her Dh is as close to a cowboy as you get. Veggie minimum please. Easy on the pocketbook and easy to double as we will have the same thing at home

What should I take them?

Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Taking a meal after surery

How about something like spaghetti pie? Or shephards pie? Chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings might be good- his stomach might not be up to anything too spicy or heavy. I'd stay away from chili or anything like that. If he is a serious meat and potato type you can make slop- brown ground beef with onions, boil some cubed potatoes until soft, mix flour and milk with the beef to make a gravy. Add potatoes, salt and pepper to taste and done. The beauty is you can mix soup veggies into or not, you can serve veggies on the side. Its cheap, quick and tastes good.
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Our goto meal for strangers is taco soup. It feeds a ton and everyone always loves it - even my friend who normally doesn't like beans asked for the recipe.

Brown 1lb hamburger
Add rotel and taco seasoning and ranch seasoning.
Add undrained: corn, hominy, black beans, pinto beans. Add water as desired (a can or two)

Bring to boil, simmer 1 hr

Feeds around 7 bowls
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
My Mood:
Texas Hash and some good bread?

It's a ground beef, rice, green pepper, onion, and tomato dish prepared with chili powder - it isn't spicy but if you added cayenne you could make it spicy. The are lots of great recipes out there for that. It's one of my favorite comfort foods.

My favorite comfort food though is lasagna, and I think it's possible to do that on a budget.

You could get a whole chicken, roast it, bake potatoes. You could make home fries from the potatoes and your friend could just do a quick reheat at home. If you got two small chickens you could roast them at the same time.
Danielle, Nick, Gigi ('08) and William ('11)
Happy Family
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Registered Users

Stew. Get a hunk of beef, throw in some veggies, herbs, and a little bit of water and leave it in a slow cooker all day. Serve with rolls.
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Registered Users

I can't think of ideas off the top of my head, but you can check out this website, it has lots of ideas! (all about bringing people meals)
Busy homeschooling mama to my 3 cute kiddos

My cooking blog-
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote