Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

One recipe, 3 meals

Or more, depending on family size!

I made my mom's lasagna recipe tonight for dinner for the first time. I have been out of my parents house for 13 years, married for 11, in this house for 10, and I have never made it.

Well, DD2 has been super into Garfield on Netflix lately (Garfield Show, not Garfield and Friends.) So, we have watched a lot of it, and the more we watched, the more lasagna started sounding good. So I pulled out the recipe book she made for me and got bought all the stuff on my last grocery trip.

The recipe makes 1 13X9 pan. That pan can be cut into 12 equal pieces. Each piece is filling enough that for many adults and most kids, that's enough for a meal. Add a salad and/or garlic bread, and it's for sure one piece each for a meal. Which means for our family of 6, IF all 6 ate one piece, that would be 2 meals out of the pan. In our case, only 3 of us ate it, and DH had 2 pieces so that's still 3 meals right out of the pan.

BUT, the funky thing is, the recipe has a lot of leftover. It calls for a 1lb box of lasagna noodles, but you only end up using 12 noodles, which leaves like 6 to 8 noodles left out of the box. The sauce uses a lb of meat, 28oz of diced toms, 3 small cans of tomatoe paste AND 2 cups of water plus the seasonings. There was at least a cup, probably almost 2 cups of sauce leftover. Plus left over cheeses, etc.

SO, like any other young (ish) mom making her mama's recipe (that she got from her mom, that she got from her mom, etc ) I called her up and asked her if I did it right, because there was so much left over. She said yeah, that's normal and that she usually does "lasagna rolls" with the rest.

OMG, BRILLIANT!!!! LOVE it! So I took one whole lasagna noodle, spread some of the sauce, a bit of the ricotta, some of the shredded mozz and some of the shredded parm, sprinkled that all across the top of the noodle, then rolled it up and put it in a dish "seam" side down. Did this for 5 more noodles before I hit a point where I was not going to have enough for one more, so a total of 6 rolls. Poured the rest of the sauce over the top (not much) and then sprinkled with the last of the mozz in the bag and some more shredded parm. Then, covered them with foil and froze them. I am estimating that 2 of these rolls will make up 1 serving, so for the 3 of us eating them, add a salad and that's a whole third/fourth meal out of the whole thing!

Truly awesome. I hate wasting food and love that I was able to use up every single bit of sauce and cheese and only ended up with a few noodles left that I couldn't use. If I had known ahead of time that I wasn't going to use the whole box of noodles, I wouldn't have cooked them all at once.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: One recipe, 3 meals

Sounds fabulous! Can I have some? I love lasagna but DH doesn't, so I rarely make it.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote