Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nutritional yeast

Does it actually taste like Parmesan cheese? Since becoming lactose intolerant my dh really misses cheese on his pasta. I've heard this is a sub but I have a hard time believing something called nutritional yeast could actually be good.

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nutritional yeast

Lol. Hooray for honesty!! I don't like it straight but I love it in things as an ingredient. I make a Parmesan substitute with almonds, nutritional yeast, miso paste, and salt. It's yummy. But I wouldn't put just straight nooch on anything. I also use it to make cheesy sauces and in small amounts it can add a richness almost like an eggy flavor (in a good way). I use it in an eggless waffle recipe that way. You can usually find it in bulk bins at health food stores so you can buy just a little to try it. That would probably be your best bet.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I am weird,but I lobe mooch on just about anything savory. I will even eat it plain with a spoon.
It is crazy good on popcorn and califlower
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I am weird,but I lobe mooch on just about anything savory. I will even eat it plain with a spoon.
It is crazy good on popcorn and califlower
It took me a while to figure out "nooch" haha! But does it taste like cheese?
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really love it but no it doesn't taste like parm to me. I like it on salads and in sauces/ dressings. It is pretty good on popcorn too but you can tell it isn't cheese (still pretty tasty anyway). I can always tell if it is in something, it has a pretty strong flavor.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Namiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You need to add salt for the best taste.

Here's a recipe that is close to what I've done in the past
http://vegweb.com/recipes/nutritiona...heese-dipsauce
Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love it and am dairy free but I don't think it tastes like cheese.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

It has that salty cheese-like flavor but it's NOT like cheese. Most people do like it but if you are expecting cheese, you'll be disappointed. I would do a vegan "cheese" sauce that you make with nutritional yeast for dipping bread or whatever into or a mac and "cheese" but I wouldn't try it straight on pasta first. I've tried the recipe linked here and I enjoy it but my kids don't. They DO like it sprinkled on popcorn though. With butter and salt it tastes like smartfood.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For lactose intolerance he should be able to eat a little parm cheese. Hard cheeses like parm usually don't have lactose in them. Cabot cheddar claims to be lactose free, but its basically means that the amount of lactose is below what has to be claimed- kind of like if it has less than whatever amount of trans fat they can claim its trans fat free. If it is an actual lactose intolerance he should be able to get away with parm cheese. But if its some other sensitivity or protein intolerance to the dairy then he shouldn't. My dd was diagnosed as lactose intolerant but we later found out it was a protein intolerance. So we did all the its ok for lactose stuff until we realized it wasn't the lactose.

I agree that nutritional yeast doesn't taste like cheese, but it does add a nice flavor. I have made a baked mac n "cheese" using it. it certainly didn't taste exactly like mac and cheese but it did have the same basic flavor. It was pretty good, I think I could have played it off as a gourmet mac and cheese and nobody would have known the difference other than it wasn't quite as creamy.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
graceworks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
For lactose intolerance he should be able to eat a little parm cheese. Hard cheeses like parm usually don't have lactose in them. Cabot cheddar claims to be lactose free, but its basically means that the amount of lactose is below what has to be claimed- kind of like if it has less than whatever amount of trans fat they can claim its trans fat free. If it is an actual lactose intolerance he should be able to get away with parm cheese. But if its some other sensitivity or protein intolerance to the dairy then he shouldn't. My dd was diagnosed as lactose intolerant but we later found out it was a protein intolerance. So we did all the its ok for lactose stuff until we realized it wasn't the lactose. I agree that nutritional yeast doesn't taste like cheese, but it does add a nice flavor. I have made a baked mac n "cheese" using it. it certainly didn't taste exactly like mac and cheese but it did have the same basic flavor. It was pretty good, I think I could have played it off as a gourmet mac and cheese and nobody would have known the difference other than it wasn't quite as creamy.
He hasn't been diagnosed but we really think its lactose. It started about a year ago and pizza and milk all of a sudden made him so sick. Then we took out all dairy til he was back to normal and added back in Lactose free milk and he was fine, then lactose free cheese (Cabot) still fine. But if he accidentally eats something like mashed potatoes or a cupcake or French toast (he doesn't cook so he's not always sure what stuff has milk) he will be sick a few hours after. So I don't think its a protein thing because then wouldn't lactose free milk and cheese still upset him?

I have heard that about Parmesan and hard cheeses but maybe the stuff we buy isn't aged enough or something because he does have symptoms when he eats it. Parmesan and mozzarella are this things I miss cooking with most and things he misses eating the most.

You guys are making me really curious about the nutritional yeast, especially the popcorn thing. Dh used to LOVE that cheese powder for popcorn you can buy, maybe this would be a savory option for popcorn.