Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Paleo friendly baking chocolate!

Help! Does it exist? Haha and where can I get it! I'm really wanting to try a paleo friendly recipe and it calls for Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks. I can't find this exact brand in the stores near me so what are some other brands!? I've read that a small amount of sugar is ok but that seems off? I don't know! Someone help!!!

Advertisement

Jenyquintero17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paleo friendly baking chocolate!

I don't know about paleo. We use Enjoy Life because of food allergies. There is no sub for them in for us. I am not sure what it is about regular chocolate chips that paleo wants to avoid. The ingreds for enjoy life are evap cane sugar, choc liquor and non-dairy cocoa butter. They are dairy, wheat and soy free as well as others. I believe that its the dairy free for paleo that they want enjoy life chips. Enjoy life are not sugar free. You might be able to find a dairy free dark chocolate in a local store but that is questionable. Unless you have a health food store close your not likely to find any other dairy free chocolate chips. We did a happy dance the day our local store started carrying enjoy life chips. Honestly every dairy free chocolate we have tried (that was also guaranteed nut and peanut free) taste awful. Enjoy life tastes just like a regular semi sweet choc. You can order them online if you want.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I don't know about paleo. We use Enjoy Life because of food allergies. There is no sub for them in for us. I am not sure what it is about regular chocolate chips that paleo wants to avoid. The ingreds for enjoy life are evap cane sugar, choc liquor and non-dairy cocoa butter. They are dairy, wheat and soy free as well as others. I believe that its the dairy free for paleo that they want enjoy life chips. Enjoy life are not sugar free. You might be able to find a dairy free dark chocolate in a local store but that is questionable. Unless you have a health food store close your not likely to find any other dairy free chocolate chips. We did a happy dance the day our local store started carrying enjoy life chips. Honestly every dairy free chocolate we have tried (that was also guaranteed nut and peanut free) taste awful. Enjoy life tastes just like a regular semi sweet choc. You can order them online if you want.
Thank you! I will probably have to order them! I know paleo stays away from refined sugars so I think that's how enjoy life gets away with sugar cane. (I'm no paleo expert) thanks you for the review. I worried about the taste being awful! So that's good to hear!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah they are really good. I was eating them while posting the ingred list earlier. We went through a lot of nasty chocolate before someone recommended enjoy life to us.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Yeah they are really good. I was eating them while posting the ingred list earlier. We went through a lot of nasty chocolate before someone recommended enjoy life to us.
Well it sounds like they will be worth placing a order for! Since there aren't very many natural/ whole food stores around here
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can make your own - I can't remember exact ratios at the moment but I've made them with cocoa powder, honey, and coconut oil! Yum!

Paleo is against soy and soy lecithin is used in most chocolates. It's also against refined sugar, which is also in most chocolates. So that's why paleo would be against regular chocolate chips. A lot of regular chocolate chips also have natural flavor - and who knows what that means. So... I'm not paleo, but personally, I don't usually buy regular chocolate any more either. Paleo is usually okay with dark chocolate - and it does take some getting used to for many people - I never could have eaten it before. But I like it a lot now.

The Enjoy Life ones are okay, but I found them expensive so we haven't gotten them in awhile. You could *probably* just get a fair trade dark chocolate bar that doesn't use soy and break it into chunks. (Probably 70% or higher - I usually get 85% or 90%. )

Last edited by mel j; 09-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
kanga1622
Registered Users

Check with your grocery store if they would special order Enjoy Life for you. I am addicted to their chunks and they are coming out with dark chocolate chips soon.

Our HyVee carries them in the organic section and added them to the shelves when I asked.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get Enjoy Life at Target, next to the other chocolate chips. I think ours only carries the mini chips, not chunks.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
Check with your grocery store if they would special order Enjoy Life for you. I am addicted to their chunks and they are coming out with dark chocolate chips soon.

Our HyVee carries them in the organic section and added them to the shelves when I asked.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
That's awesome! I don't have HyVee but all of the places I've checked so far don't carry them I may have to order online.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwife View Post
I get Enjoy Life at Target, next to the other chocolate chips. I think ours only carries the mini chips, not chunks.
I'll look again! I hope my Target has them. They didn't have them the other day but I'm hopeful!