Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
birdinhand
Registered Users

Did you get a breastpump through your insurance?

I tried back in April and it was a process, and that ended up getting cancelled. I tried again a couple of weeks ago and it was no problem. I would like a big sampling to help moms and see what works the best. I have ben so surprised more people don't know about this! I think many pregnant/new mamas are so overwhelmed, if it is going to be a big chore, they don't do it (understandably!).

Advertisement

Last edited by birdinhand; 11-09-2013 at 10:10 AM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you like your hygeia?

I think I'll try contacting them directly. I tried working with my insurance and they didn't give me any dmes just told me to talk with my dr.

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Did you get a breastpump through your insurance?

I like Hygeia because they are WHO-code compliant and they make a pump you can actually share with someone (if you get your own parts) as it is a closed-system pump. I mention a few other options in that post. I met a Hygeia rep years ago at a breastfeeding conference and was impressed by what they are doing. I was amazed at the difference between the DMEs my insurance gave me and the DME Hygeia gave me (because it still went through a DME, Hygeia just knew who to contact). So if you know what kind of pump you want and the DME you are working with doesn't offer it, go to the pump company and see what they say. I was thinking about calling other pump companies to see if they had DMEs they also suggest, but I hadn't gotten that far yet.

You will need to give them your doctor's info (I gave them my homebirth midwife's info), but neither time did the insurance company tell me that was where I needed to start; the DME contacts your doctor themselves, either ped or OB, etc.

Last edited by birdinhand; 10-01-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just commented on the blog. I just had a great experience with my insurance company (an Upstate NY Blue Cross plan) & one of the DMEs they recommended (Yummy Mummy in NYC). Between the two, they were really helpful, pleasant, and informative & I had no problems. I have to call when the babies are born to initiate the delivery, but that's no problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
birdinhand
Registered Users

Awesome to hear -- I read your comment, and I think I had heard about something lime that regarding covering a hospital-grade pump, so than you for adding that, I am sure it will be helpful for others to know! Good luck with those babies! Here's to hoping you won't need the hospital pump!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Don't know if it will apply for your research but the military tricare insurance doesn't cover pumps. Because tricare is a benefit, not traditional insurance. They do cover rental for nicu babies, but that's it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
ersk19
Registered Users

I'm a federal govt employee and called my insurer after my baby was born. I was put in touch with a medical equipment company (I think I was required to use the one my insurer chose). They required a letter from my midwives and then they shipped me out a pump right away. It was very easy. I didn't get to choose the pump. They sent an Ameda. I'm still using my PIS from my first baby, but it's great to have a back up.
ersk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
phoebecloth
Registered Users
seller

ObamaCare requires insurance companies to fully cover lactation support now. I got mine through Blue Cross 100% covered with a prescription from my midwife.
phoebecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
kanga1622
Registered Users

My insurance was grandfathered in so I did not get a pump covered. I am a state employee and we are a self funded health insurance program so they are exempted from several things.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Rachel_lea3737
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have Anthem and I was able to get a breast pump through them and it was so easy. All I had to do was have my prescription faxed to an in network dme I didn't have to deal with my insurance company at all the pharmacy took care of everything.
Rachel_lea3737 is offline   Reply With Quote