Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

Pregnancy and Milk Supply

I just found out I'm pregnant, and I would like to continue nursing my 15 month old son. I have heard a lot of stories about milk drying up, do y'all have any tips for keeping my supply up?

Advertisement

sparksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Re: Pregnancy and Milk Supply

My best suggestion is just keep nursing for as long as possible. I am not sure if there is much else that can help other than staying hydrated and eating healthy, lactation friendly foods, such as oatmeal.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Rachel_lea3737
Registered Users

My Mood:

I breastfeed my daughter until I was 6 months pregnant and I never had a problem with milk supply just eat good whole foods and drink plenty of water.
Rachel_lea3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I started to dry up at 8 weeks PG. I had to go on Reglan to keep my supply. It worked till DS was 11 months and I was 6 mos PG.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Mine went from fairly abundant to bone dry around 12 weeks. DD nurses anyway still at 25 weeks. (Although I have weaned her to once a day or so, because the aversion was too much for me to handle.)
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info ladies! I will eat healthy, stay hydrated and hope for the best! :-)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant last year when my daughter was only 3 months old. I was exclusively nursing her and pumping an additional 20 oz a day (to donate) at the time. I really hoped that we would get by since I had such an oversupply to start with. I kept pumping. I stocked up as much milk as I could. As my supply began to dwindle, I ate lots of oatmeal and lactation cookies. Still, I pretty much totally dried up by my second semester. There was no point to pumping anymore. I got absolutely nothing. My daughter was clamping down hard on my nipples because she was frustrated that there wasn't much coming out. It hurt. I was sad and frustrated. I hated giving up, but I really had no choice.

MotherLove makes a supplement called More Milk Plus. It's liquid that tastes like raisins. It's safe to take during pregnancy. As far as I know, it's the only supplement that's deemed safe during pregnancy. It has promising reviews on Amazon, but it didn't help me at all.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just prepare yourself for any outcome. I'm still depressed that I had to wean my daughter so early. We had a freezer supply and we stretched it out as long as we could. She was completely without breastmilk for the final 3 months of my pregnancy. I feel incredibly guilty about it. I really didn't expect to totally dry up. I thought I would at least have some milk.

My daughter is a few days shy of 13 months now. Her little brother will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. My supply is better than ever before. I'm exclusively nursing my son and pumping around 30 extra ounces each day. I'm so happy to have my daughter back on breastmilk, but I still mourn the time she went without.

Everyone is different. Lots of moms continue to nurse through their entire pregnancies. Some moms don't even have a dip in supply. Other moms dry up completely and totally.

I wish you all the luck in the world! Congrats on your pregnancy.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Mine was bone cry by 12 weeks as well. DD1 was 15 months then. She continued to dry nurse for a while and it hurt so, so bad. I ended up weaning her because of it but I have friends who have persevered through the dry nursing and now tandem nurse.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Mine dried up by 20 weeks with last pregnsncy. The More Milk Plus didn't help me either. I made it to DD's first birthday. So I try to think positive. I did my best. Do yours and things will be fine.

DD that had to wean st 1 year is now almost 20 months and super healthy. No sick Dr. Visits. Not even a cold yet. Just FYI.

Last edited by snugglesnsunshine; 10-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.
snugglesnsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for sharing all your stories! I'm am very familiar with More Milk Plus, I took it after my son was born. We had a rocky start so I really am truly happy we made it this long. It won't be the end of the world if I dry up, but I've got my fingers crossed I don't! :-)