Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Scheduling?

Now before you flame me this is our 4th. Both of my boys nursed every hour and a half the entire time they nursed....9 and 8 months. I always nursed on demand. Well our kids are older and that's just not doable. I'd like to nurse, but on some sort of reasonable schedule. I have to get kids places, take care of the house and our family, and we are on to go. Sitting in a chair shirtless all day isn't going to work. So I'd like to know from moms that bf on a schedule. What was it? When did you institute it? Did it help you succeed in a busy household? If we can't get on some sort of plan I'm not sure bfing will even work for us......

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the 1st 6 weeks or so I offered every 2-3 hrs. Then after about 8 ish weeks I would offer every 3-4 hrs. This worked really well. I also think block feeding helped -offering one boob per feeding, that way baby can get lots of hind fatty milk and stays fuller longer

Good luck and congrats on your new baby !
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Scheduling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
For the 1st 6 weeks or so I offered every 2-3 hrs. Then after about 8 ish weeks I would offer every 3-4 hrs. This worked really well. I also think block feeding helped -offering one boob per feeding, that way baby can get lots of hind fatty milk and stays fuller longer

Good luck and congrats on your new baby !
I wondered about this as well if block feeding would work better. The boys although seemed satisfied when done, were always VERY small. Did you start out right away in the first week? And did you always do one side at a time even from first feedings? I've thought about block feeding but was never sure how to do that.
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 10-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom
I wondered about this as well if block feeding would work better. The boys although seemed satisfied when done, were always VERY small. Did you start out right away in the first week? And did you always do one side at a time even from first feedings? I've thought about block feeding but was never sure how to do that.
I did a modified block feeding that worked really well for us. I had a forceful letdown and was getting an imbalance.
Every time I nursed, I would offer the same side for three times. I don't offer the other side unless she wanted more, but would usually be satisfied. Then switch to the other side.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #5
poppan
Registered Users
seller

My kids were preemies in the NICU and were on 3-hr schedules from the start. I think if they acted super hungry they would page me to come, but otherwise it was every 3 hours.

So I kind of think if preemies can do that, so can a full term baby.

That said, I think DS3 who is full term and fed on demand, was more frequent in the beginning. But he also had a more irregular schedule overall.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think if you have to... schedule. I would try 2-3 hours and see. If you instituted a schedule earlier the better. I nurse on demand as most places here are open to it. You might have times they need to have more like in spurts. try if you are at home to pump extra so you could be out and about and not feel you are stuffing your baby from a feed if need be.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep I did it with my first and will be doing it with this one. We start around 2 weeks and stretch feedings to every 3. It takes about two weeks but it is worth it. I going they start to sleep better at night as well.

I found it helped to be out and about. The baby falls asleep or is so fascinated by being out they forget it's time to eat. I say go about your daily routine and only feed them when they are truly crying from hunger. We all know what that sounds like .
Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the encouragement girls! Another question about block feeds, u still keep offering that same breast even if it "feels" empty? I guess maybe over time it wouldn't get that empty feeling til u were done eh? Also then when working and pumping, do u just pump the one side during a pump session or both? I only work 2 nights a week but still curious
Cautiously expecting #5
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom

Yes my lactation consultant (named Tracey) was the one who suggested it in the hospital so we did start this right away. The one or 2 times I would offer the 2nd side dd would throw up because it was way too much fore milk for her.

A lot of babies that were in our breast feeding meet up group (ran by the same LC named Tracey) that had smaller ish babies or gassy or fussy babies or even babies that wanted to eat all the time were told by Tracey to block feed. Miraculously by the next weeks meetings the babies were like brand new babies & so were the mamas because they were way less tired.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just throwing this out there. Block feeding will lower your supply. I've heard this from lactation consultants and read it from Dr. Jack Newman. It works for some women because they have a greater breast storage capacity so their babies can get enough milk. You should always offer both breasts, if baby only wants one breast then that's fine and you have a good storage capacity.

But reading that your babies needed to nurse frequently and were always small you probably don't. :twocents: I am not against scheduling and I think it can definitely work but in most cases I think block feeding isn't a good idea unless you have an oversupply or baby does it themselves.

Eta: and just to add my own experience. I tried block feeding because I was told that I had an oversupply (which was incorrect btw). I did block feeding for a week or two and then went back to exclusive pumping. I went from pumping 30 oz. per day to only 15 oz. and my daughter lost weight. Then I started doing research on block feeding and found out that it was considered an effective way to drop your supply.

Last edited by evasimone; 10-19-2013 at 09:39 AM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote