Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Scheduling?

Some resources:

From kellymom:

Are you having problems with oversupply?

Mothers who are working to remedy oversupply usually need to decrease supply without decreasing overall nursing frequency or weaning baby. One way to accomplish this is by “block nursing” – mom nurses baby as frequently as usual but restricts baby to one breast for a set period of time (often 3-4 hours but sometimes longer) before switching sides. In this way, more milk accumulates in the breast before mom switches sides (thus slowing milk production) but baby’s nursing frequency is not limited.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/milkproduction/

This is another one:
http://www.cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

And another:
http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...dos-donts.html

And this is an article about foremilk and hind milk which I think is great:

http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....st-of.html?m=1

Advertisement

Last edited by evasimone; 10-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and I wanted to add that in order to decrease my supply (dd is 15.5 months) I have stopped block feeding and started offering both breasts and it has worked great to lessen the volume of milk I produce.

When I was in my breast feeding support group there were about 35 of us and all but 4 or 5 would block feed. We would have meeting topics based on how to make it so that baby isn't always nursing (of course newborns nurse a lot). I am not saying never offer the other breast just saying what worked for me and most of my group. But do what is best for you and your baby based off of all the reading and info you get and also based off of your baby's weight gain but if in the past your babies have nursed from both sides & your babies have been under weight it can't hurt to try block feeding for a couple days while you are checking feeding weights.
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My advice is to get a sling and learn how to nurse in it. It was the only way I made it through the first 6 months with my babies.

Also waiting for a baby to cry in hunger means they are so hungry they literally hurt. Not the best option to grow happy healthy babies.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Just throwing this out there. Block feeding will lower your supply. I've heard this from lactation consultants and read it from Dr. Jack Newman. It works for some women because they have a greater breast storage capacity so their babies can get enough milk. You should always offer both breasts, if baby only wants one breast then that's fine and you have a good storage capacity.

But reading that your babies needed to nurse frequently and were always small you probably don't. :twocents: I am not against scheduling and I think it can definitely work but in most cases I think block feeding isn't a good idea unless you have an oversupply or baby does it themselves.

Eta: and just to add my own experience. I
tried block feeding because I was told that I had an oversupply (which was incorrect btw). I did block feeding for a week or two and then went back to exclusive pumping. I went from pumping 30 oz. per day to only 15 oz. and my daughter lost weight. Then I started doing research on block feeding and found out that it was considered an effective way to drop your supply.
My thoughts exactly.

Also while my kiddo feeds very frequently, its like 2-5 min. Easy to fit in everywhere. Sometimes I get somewhere, nurse then go inside. But it's not lengthy
Old 10-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We schedule all our babies as do our closest friends. DS1 required 2.5 hours for the first 4 weeks, all the others were happy with 3 hr intervals from the beginning.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I just think that sometimes people forget that not every woman has the same storage capacity.

I think trying to schedule is fine. I tried. It just meant he woke more at night to get his calories.

Just know that while trying is fine - we are not all going to be capable of the same things.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
I say go about your daily routine and only feed them when they are truly crying from hunger. We all know what that sounds like .
I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I very well could be reading that wrong, but there are so many other hunger cues that come before the hunger cry, so why wait til baby is truly upset from hunger? Obviously it is unavoidable from time to time, but doing all feedings this way? Everything I have ever read about BF says baby will not nurse as well when upset. I'd think a baby who was thriving on a schedule would be relatively content before feedings.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post

I'm not trying to be confrontational, and I very well could be reading that wrong, but there are so many other hunger cues that come before the hunger cry, so why wait til baby is truly upset from hunger? Obviously it is unavoidable from time to time, but doing all feedings this way? Everything I have ever read about BF says baby will not nurse as well when upset. I'd think a baby who was thriving on a schedule would be relatively content before feedings.
http://www.incultureparent.com/2010/...bies-dont-cry/
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the positive comments. This is our fourth baby, I have tried it all. I have size G boobs which doesn't make for sling feeding. I have plenty of milk and have never suffered from low supply. I make small babies, it has nothing to do with my breast milk. And as for block feeding causing problems, I ALREADY get mastitis about once a month when offering both sides, so I'm not sure there could be any MORE complications than what I already deal with when nursing. I was actually thinking that perhaps block feeding would DECREASE this because it would more completely empty the breast. Not sure. I still don't know for sure if I will even do it. I have WAY oversupply in the beginning and then get mastits and then it regulates. It's awesome let me tell you. (No I do not wear underwire (or even a bra when I am inside my house), no I do not tummy sleep, yada yada.)

I do think that the 1.5 hour intervals between feedings become a habit and a WANT not a need from some babies, as I witnessed from both boys after a certain point. While that may be doable for some moms, this mom of 4 can't do it again. My other kids suffer.

At this moment I'm just trying to gather info and get experiences from other moms. I appreciate the resources and the comments
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Have you tied lecithin to help decreased blocked ducts that could lead to mastitis? It's worked wonders for me. I think you should nurse very often for the first 4-6 weeks at least. After that you can easily fall into a routine.