Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting things done on bedrest?

I am facing the possibility that I will be put on bed rest, we are waiting on some test results to know. I am 33 weeks on Saturday, and there is still quite a bit that needs to be done and I don't want to make dh do it all on top of caring for me.
How did you manage? Did you not quite follow Dr.s orders and putz around and get things done anyways? Did local family pitch in?

Advertisement

Last edited by Powcat; 10-23-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo
Powcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: Getting things done on bedrest?

If you are put on bedrest, and I hope you aren't, don't do anything! If you break your doctor's orders and something goes wrong, you will feel terribly guilty. Your DH will survive. Having a really messy house isn't the end of the world. Having a baby in the NICU or a sick mama is no fun:-( take it easy! And I really hope everything is just fine for you!
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree with PP. If you don't follow the doctors orders and something bad happens you'll never forgive yourself. :/ If you have family nearby, or good friends, ask for help! People will be dying yo help you! Freezer meals, house cleaning, helping set up, they can do it for you
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately it is only his family that is local and they have a ton of travel planned for the next several weeks. I feel guilty asking my mom to travel back here earlier than she had planned before since there is a lot she is planning to do before she had planned on coming this way again.
The tests we are waiting on are a blood test and the twenty-four hour urine test. I either have a high bp issue or pre-e. I am feeling it is likely the second, it just took forever for the bp to rise high enough for them to notice, but I have had anxiety issues the entire pregnancy and this wait and see isn't helping, nor is not having a plan on how to just have the house function with only one functioning adult.
I understand that not following orders could be really bad, but I could fold laundry right? grab the basket and take it with me to the living room and have H put it all away? I hate this idea of doing nothing. But I really do just want my sweet little one here safe.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Hugs OP! I'm so sorry you are going through this! I'm not a health professional, but from what I understand bedrest really is helpful for pre-e. Can you call your provider and ask them what's what? It may be that they'll let you do light housework for a few minutes at a time. I may also have a pregnancy complication, and I had all this anxiety swirling around my head, so I just called my provider and asked what is exactly will happen if X. It's totally worth it to talk to them so you can be prepared. And honestly, don't feel bad about asking your mom for help. You would do anything for your baby, right? Well so will your mom! I'm guessing that if her daughter is put on bedrest she'll be at your side.
In the meantime, write down everything that needs to get done from now until baby. Figure out how you can delegate certain tasks. Can you afford a housekeeper? Can you send laundry out to a wash and fold? Can you survive on frozen pizza? Do you have other kids, or is this your first? If so, can you set up play dates? Please do not feel bad about asking for help. I have a dear friend who was on bedrest, and people bent over backwards to help her. We were all so worried that we needed to do something! I really hope you don't have pre-e. I'm keeping you in my thoughts!
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Don't feel guilty!!! Your job is bearing a healthy baby and taking care of yourself. Your DH is 100% capable of keeping things running. Do you have any friends who'd be willing to visit and do little chores here and there? DON'T be afraid to ask for help and DON'T feel guilty. You may be surprised by how many people will step up and help.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is my first, I will work on the lists idea. I keep remembering little things that we need more of, and I would hate to forget any of it.
Frozen pizza or similar would be ok, but the heartburn would get horrible.
As far as a housekeeper or wash and fold, we are functioning on a barely there budget since I have had to keep cutting my hours back. The main problem is that I don't really like my OB but I feel that I am better off not switching, we have been going back and forth with her not listening, it is really frustrating but it seems things are finally being done.
And again as far as my Mom she has chronic pain and a weakened immune system. I feel horrible that she caught the cold I had while she was here a few weeks ago and isn't getting better quickly, and she normally packs my dads lunch/dinner as he is out of town every other night. I know she would come help but she has her life too.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Think about things you can do in bed or in a sitting position. You can fold laundry sitting in bed, pay bills, some crafting and do other light weight things as well. Double check with Dr. what bed rest means in his/her mind. Make a list of things that you want to accomplish and see what you can do from a resting position, sitting, reclining or laying down. It's amazing how much can still be done while not overdoing it.

Types of things to think about or ask are how can I modify my chores to make them acceptable for bed rest like:
Is it alright to transfer laundry piece by piece into the washer, and then into the dryer if I'm not bending over (have a stool the basket sits on)- someone else totes the dirty or clean where it needs to go, for 1 load.

How much activity is allowed. For instance some consider taking a shower and bathroom privileges and making easy foods is all your allowed to do, with stairs 2x a day.

I have to be honest, that I haven't been as strict with my bed rest as the Dr. wanted. But I am very cautious about how much I do. I only do a little at a time with lots of "rest" in-between.

For instance trips to the bathroom: I would do one very minor task like, I would wipe the sink down. The next trip I would wipe the mirror. The next trip I would wipe the door knob or light switch and so on, and leave the floor, base of toilet, and tub for DH to scrub. And I keep up with it so there is nothing to scrub, it just wipes easily away.

Kitchen/cooking: Dishes are another matter, loading the dishwasher is a lot of bending and scrubbing pans a lot of standing work so I don't do them. Wiping down the table is not a big deal and I incorporate that into getting a glass of water or something like that.

I do make sure to sit at the kitchen table to do as much meal prep. as possible and I do make very simple meals that will last for more than 1 dinner, like baked potatoes, and chicken and side with a fresh salad, because they don't require me to stand at the stove stirring, I can sit to make the salad at the table, and pop in the oven/ microwave to reheat later for lunch or dinner. I make sure to line pans with tinfoil to make clean up easy for DH. Focus on healthy, very simple meals using crock pot cooking or the oven, so your not on your feet cooking or standing over a hot stove.

Toy problem and clean up: Put everything away and only have a couple of things out, to make clean up easy for DH.

The big thing that I would really focus on is this: get everything down to as simple and easy to maintain as possible, and never let it get out of control. Call in mom or friends to get to that place, then have them in for maintenance, like for vacuuming, scrubbing the tub - specific chores that you know DH hates- once or twice a week. See if mom/friends can make a couple of dinners a week, or if they prefer come and wash dishes a few times a week. These few things can make a significant dent in what DH has to compensate for and will help keep things running smoothly.

Edited to say: Your not on bed rest yet, take advantage of the this time to get things organized, but whatever you do - don't overdo it! For the first week after I was put on bed rest, I did modified bed rest just to help get things in order enough to do full bed rest.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 10-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's never too late to change doctors/midwife! This is your baby's and your life, your care provider needs to listen to you and you need to trust her/him.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Powcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for the thoughts, and the assistance with being a crazy nervous ftm. Just got the call from my Dr. and it is just a bp issue but that doesn't make me feel better about working. I still don't know what I am supposed to do, but am just going to keep plugging away.