Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should we report to the teacher? update added

DD has a small scratch on her face which I am almost positive she did her self when pushing her hair out of her face but when I asked her what happened she first said she didn't know and then said maybe it happened when J (a boy in a different first grade class) pushed her down. Turns out he pushed her down twice during one of their recesses today. What I can't get out of her is what actually happened. She tells me she can't remember. She wasn't hurt, it didn't upset her or hurt her feelings. J likes to chase dd's best friend or have her chase him. So dd and her bf chase him (they chase a couple other boys as well). The first time he pushed her they were chasing him- very easily could have been part of the game, but its never happened before. The second time she was standing beside him after chasing him and she said he just pushed her. She doesn't remember if he said anything to her and she says she said nothing to him. She said after the second time he went and jumped on the table with the other boys they chase (the boys chase them as well). DD didn't think anything of it but her bf told her not to play with the boys anymore so her bf obviously didn't take it well. If he was just playing with her I want her to take care of it herself and tell him she doesn't play that way. But if her was being mean or did it because he didn't want her to chase him anymore (completely possible- the girl has a ton of energy and usually runs circles around her classmates) Then it needs to be addressed by an adult- I think? I don't know if we should just ignore it and see if it happens again, let dd handle it completely by herself or report it. We will definitely report it if it was meant to be mean, but other wise should we just let dd handle it herself? She really wasn't bothered by it, but the fact that her bf was bothers me. I have call into bf's mom to see if she can get anymore info out bf so we can try to figure out why he pushed her. While we teach that its never ok to push and hit I don't really want to get teachers or other adults involved if it was meant as part of a game or crush type thing. He needs to learn the appropriate way to behave but unless it was meant to be mean I think dd telling him its not ok should be sufficient- at least the first time. I don't know.

ETA bf doesn't know anything more than dd told me. Apparently both bf and her other bf said they should stop playing with boys. BF's mom asked about the recess supervisors and she said they were around. Bf's mom is upset that the supervisor weren't watching. I am not that worried about it. I know kids rough house and push I just wanted to know why he did it to know if it was something we need to address or not. bf's mom told bf that they don't need to play or chase the boys anymore if that kind of stuff was going to happen. BF already decided she wasn't going to play with them for a while.

ETA again- we thought we were going to wait and see if it happens again but dh now wants me to call the teacher. DD thought his name was Jake and its not- something close but not Jake. DH thinks if she doesn't know him well enough to know his name then he shouldn't be playing with him like that. I don't agree he's in bf's class and hangs out with 2 boys that dd and bf play with from last year. But he is also a bit concerned that both dd's bfs said they shouldn't play with the boys. He is wondering if there is more going on now.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 10-28-2013 at 09:18 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should we report to the teacher?

We had a similar situation. I emailed the teacher to get all sides of the story and proceeded from there.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would email the teacher. Kids push and shove on the playground. I'd just alert her to the situation and ask that she supervise him more carefully. She is not allowed to talk to you about any consequences though--privacy laws prevent that.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-24-2013 at 03:40 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I would not report it yet. I would certainly try to find out more from DD and her BF, but if you cannot get a clear idea of what happened, I would leave it for now and remind DD what she should say and do if it happens agains, which could include talking to the teacher.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would not report it yet. I would certainly try to find out more from DD and her BF, but if you cannot get a clear idea of what happened, I would leave it for now and remind DD what she should say and do if it happens agains, which could include talking to the teacher.
I think this is what we are going to do. Bf's mom has already talked to bf about what to do. I am talking to dd tonight about what she needs to do. So we'll see if it happens again.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
This is how I feel too, but take my opinion with a grain of salt because I am usually inclined to let kids handle themselves. I would only interfere if things were really bad or if there was long term bullying happening. When I was a kid we used to play really roughly and no one came out the worse for wear.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
This is what I was thinking too, but you can take mine with a grain of salt because I homeschool.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should we report to the teacher? update added

So we were going to let dd handle it herself but then we heard something through the grapevine so we reported it to the teacher this morning. I am facebook friends with bf 1's mom and she is who I was asking if they knew anything else. We both talked to the girls and explained to them what to do and were going to let it go at that. But bf 2's mom made a comment on facebook (I am not facebook friends with her) over the weekend about there possibly being a bully in her dd's class and that her dd does not want to go to school anymore. Makes me really wonder what all is happening because her dd is not a shy quiet little girl like my dd and bf 1. So bf 1's mom contacted bf 2's mom and found out that the suspected bully is the boy that pushed my dd down. I don't know what all he has done but I am assuming considering bf 2's personality that he has done something directly to her and she is not upset only over him pushing my dd. bf 1 told her mom that she didn't want to say anything because she didn't want anybody to get in trouble so i still don't have any more info. bf 2's mom called the office and spoke to the asst. principle this morning and said it sounded like its not the first complaint against the boy. I feel like I am part of a witch hunt or something. I really don't want the boy to get singled out or in trouble but if its a pattern and not a one time thing it needs to be addressed.

In my email to dd's teacher I did tell her that I wanted dd to try and handle it herself but just wanted to put her on notice in case dd couldn't or wouldn't (she is painfully shy and automatically assumes things are accidents- just like me always willing to give the benefit of the doubt) handle it herself.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Obviously, it isn't bothering your daughter too much. But, I think letting the teacher know can't hurt...even if you don't know the kid's name, I bet the teacher will know exactly who you mean. It's probably not the first issue she's heard about it.

As far as supervision, they aren't three year olds. The teachers are out there in case something comes up, not to police their play. But, if they know who to watch more closely, they can step in when he gets too rowdy.

He might not be a "bully", but he's being jerky, and that isn't O.K either...he needs to learn boundaries, and shoving kids to the ground is not OK. He's old enough to know that.

Avoid calling him a bully, and use "He's too rough" instead. Just in case he's never been taught social skills at home...maybe this is how he gets treated by older brothers at home, so he's asserting himself at school.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Obviously, it isn't bothering your daughter too much. But, I think letting the teacher know can't hurt...even if you don't know the kid's name, I bet the teacher will know exactly who you mean. It's probably not the first issue she's heard about it.

As far as supervision, they aren't three year olds. The teachers are out there in case something comes up, not to police their play. But, if they know who to watch more closely, they can step in when he gets too rowdy.

He might not be a "bully", but he's being jerky, and that isn't O.K either...he needs to learn boundaries, and shoving kids to the ground is not OK. He's old enough to know that.

Avoid calling him a bully, and use "He's too rough" instead. Just in case he's never been taught social skills at home...maybe this is how he gets treated by older brothers at home, so he's asserting himself at school.
I tend to agree with this. It sounds like he was a bit rough with your daughter, but that she wouldn't have even thought it worth bringing up if it weren't for the unrelated scratch. As for the other girls dating not to play with boys, that could just be an age/cooties thing and have nothing to do with how rough the boy was.

I take bullying very seriously. However, I think it is the new PC catch phrase and is WAY overused.

Perhaps this boy has a crush on your daughter or is just a little stronger than he realizes. It doesn't hurt to let the teacher know, but at this point with the info related to your DD and the boy, I don't see anything horrible