Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best 1st kids novel/chapter book to read aloud

Anything Beverly Cleary is awesome! I love the Ramona books...I also was going to suggest Henry Huggins...and how about The Mouse and the Motorcycle series? Those were some of my favorites when I was younger. I saw someone else mentioned the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books and I would definitely give those a thumbs up too :-)

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also wanted to add The Trumpet of the Swan, and The Cricket in Times Square :-)
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
risata
Registered Users
seller

Betsy-Tacy
Charlotte's Web
Stuart Little

The early Ramona books are good. Once Ramona gets a little older I think they are over a younger child's head.

There was an author back in the 1940s, I think, named Carolyn Haywood who wrote really cute little children's chapter books.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by risata View Post
Betsy-Tacy
Charlotte's Web
Stuart Little

The early Ramona books are good. Once Ramona gets a little older I think they are over a younger child's head.

There was an author back in the 1940s, I think, named Carolyn Haywood who wrote really cute little children's chapter books.
Yes, the Betsy books! I loved reading those as a child
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
megkmc
Registered Users

I loved the Classic Winnie the Pooh chapter books. Each chapter is mostly contained, so it doesn't matter much if one remembers what happened from one day to the next. And they are adorable and loving stories
Old 10-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

We started with little house on the prairie series with my kids. My 2.5 yo doesn't care to listen to them at all. My 5 yo enjoys them and remembers a lot. The boxcar kids are another one he loved and my fathers dragon. I know they've all been said but these have been the best for us.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #17
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

I remember reading and enjoying a lot of these books when I was a kid Glad to see they are still popular.
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of things interest your dd? I think you should factor that in when choosing a chapter book at that age. When dd1 was 3 we tried Charlotte's Web and it was an utter ailer. But she LOVED fairies (still does at almost 9) and we picked up a Rainbow Magic Fairy book and she was hooked. She read everyone we could find for for her for a few years. These books do not hold dd2's attention at all though. Ds enjoys Magic Tree House sometimes. Neither dd2 or ds really enjoy chapter books at all yet - they mich prefer a story book that can be finished in one sitting.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My daughter is 5 and we have begun chapter books. She has also beginning to read early readers, so we have a few things going on here. We've read the first Magic Treehouse and the first A to Z Mysteries and even though my daughter liked them I'm hoping to find something a bit better. In the realm of series, I'll try Boxcar Children, and I may reach back to Narnia and Charlottes Web.

Even though my daughter has always operated at a pretty high level I've held off on straight up chapter books until now, with the exception of Winnie the Pooh, which is kind of continuous but with lots of illustrations. I did try the first Treehouse book last year at age 4 and it was a bust, and Nick read her The Hobbit, which she enjoyed. But there are so many fantastic picture books out there for 3 year olds. I believe the gorgeous art is worth lingering in picture books for another year. This is why I love the library so much. There are many intelligent, well written picture books, and once you jump to chapter books, the quality and quantity of the art drops off quite a bit.

Last edited by danielle; 10-27-2013 at 06:39 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is a great list!

We're trying to read chapter books, but DS always wants to follow the words instead of listening to the story, so struggling there. Time to go back to the library w this list.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote