Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
rmy82
Registered Users

Double/Tandem Stroller Suggestions?

I've started researching Double strollers and am a bit overwhelmed! I'm looking for some suggestions from those who have actually used them.
A little criteria I want met: It needs to accommodate a Baby carrier style carseat, and a toddler. I want it to be as "all terrain" as possible, for going through dirt trails... Most days it will go on at least a mile long walk. I think I want a single width, because it will also be my primary tool for running errands with a newborn and toddler (I'm due the end of March and my daughter will be 2 1/2 by then) It would be nice to be able to Jog but I think I may have to give up on that requirement since I know I can't spend $600+... Do I Have to spend at least $300-$400 to get one I can fit into the trunk of a Corolla and not weigh a ton? I'm used to the size and weight of a baby trend jogger now, How much bulkier and heavier should I expect with a decent double stroller?
I Put in a lot of questions, thanks to everyone who took the time to read through them all!

Advertisement

rmy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love my Phil & Ted's explorer with doubles kit because it has the footprint of a single, and nice, big tires. It is up in that price range, though.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I borrowed an inline one and it sucked. Turned on a dime, fit everywhere. But seriously felt like I was pushing a bus. Not to mention that the easiest way to push one is with the larger child in back which isn't how you'll set it up with a newbie.

So I bought a side by side and I love it. I bought the schwinn jogger and its incredibly light. We have a bob single jogger and its so much heavier than the schwinn.

It reclines awesome and DS was in it very young. No bucket needed. Fits in doorways, lightweight and folds as well as a double stroller does.

Eta: the little wheels on most inlines also sucked on the grassy/nonpaved areas. Love my shocks and big jogging tires.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 10-26-2013 at 09:05 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
slk202
Registered Users
seller

Re: Double/Tandem Stroller Suggestions?

I have the britax b ready for my one child but purchased it with plans for two. It has 14 configurations and multiple ways to use your infant carrier along with either the regular toddler seat or a rumble seat. You can choose which way to face them and everything. The car seat we have just clicks and in and out with no effort at all. It is awesome on grass and trails and has a good size basket below. I put it in my Altima truck often and once you get a system it pops out of the trunk and opens in one motion. I love this stroller! You do have to purchase the second seat adaptor and I haven't tried folding it with the toddler seat into the trunk so I can't say if it is as easy as it is with the infant carrier alone. Worth looking into though! The website had a little video showing all the configurations when I was shopping.
slk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slk202
I have the britax b ready for my one child but purchased it with plans for two. It has 14 configurations and multiple ways to use your infant carrier along with either the regular toddler seat or a rumble seat. You can choose which way to face them and everything. The car seat we have just clicks and in and out with no effort at all. It is awesome on grass and trails and has a good size basket below. I put it in my Altima truck often and once you get a system it pops out of the trunk and opens in one motion. I love this stroller! You do have to purchase the second seat adaptor and I haven't tried folding it with the toddler seat into the trunk so I can't say if it is as easy as it is with the infant carrier alone. Worth looking into though! The website had a little video showing all the configurations when I was shopping.
What is a rumble seat ?
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
slk202
Registered Users
seller

It's a toddler seat for only up to like 35 lbs and it is in the back and low to the ground. It would be good when you have two toddlers instead of a toddler and infant carrier.
slk202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

City Mini double is amazing.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
mkrisel
Registered Users

We bought a used Phil and Teds off Craigslist. It's great for everything you mentioned. Not the best for jogging, but I'm competing it to a single BOB. The main reason I don't like it for jogging is that the lower seat is closer to where I want to step...but totally doable. I don't trip over it or anything. I only notice that when going down steep hills. Ours is a 2007 and was well used before us, meets our needs and the price was right.

Last edited by mkrisel; 10-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I really don't think your going to be able to find an inline stroller that will also be good for off road. In general they drive like a bus, unless you get an unusual inline like a Phil and Ted. They also have tiny wheels and one kiddo is bored staring at the back of the kiddo in front of them. The tiny wheels make for bad maneuvering and off roading and because they drive like a bus, even though you can fit through doorways you can't maneuver through aisles at the store easily. As for the Phil and Ted, I tried one out per the recommendations on this board and HATED it. My feet kicked the bottom seat of the stroller, making it uncomfortable to push and my kids hated sitting in the bottom. I've heard similar reviews from friends and online.

IME side by sides are better for shopping since they turn on a dime easier then their inline cousins. Jogging strollers are also easier for offroading. Push is the most important factor for me with a stroller. If the push is nice on a stroller, the stroller will be nice to work with whether you're at the mall or hiking on a trail. Plus the jogging stroller is nice because you can fit an older kid or bags of whatever in the front over the 3rd wheel.

I ended up with a Bob Duallie and LOVE it! Yes it is bigger then my single stroller and heavier but any double stroller will be. The wheel base on it is only 5 inches wider then my single stroller and it can fit through all the doorways I've tried but one (my old homes narrow door). I drive a toyota matrix, it's a little 5 seater hatchback. Once I figured it out I can easily get it into and out of the trunk with taking the wheels off, which is pretty easy. The whole stroller folds and unfolds like a blanket and total time to get it in or out of the car is about 1 min. Easy peasy. We just took a trip to Disney with the stroller in our trunk. It was a tight fit but we had enough room in our car to drive with 3 small kids, 2 adults, luggage for a week and a half, and the stroller from northern Pa to Fla.

I bought mine by joining ebates (they offer rebates for following links from their website to major retailers the rebates are often around 6%), using a 30% coupon, and using their cash back option. After all was said and done I spent about $350 with free shipping on the stroller. The duallies sell used in my area for about $400 so I got a pretty good deal.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Another rec for phil and teds! I just got a used explorer one, i love it! It is such a smooth ride and Will cover all u are looking for