Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Katesela
Registered Users
seller

My almost 5 month old has been having peanut butter poop for the last few weeks, even though she's still ebf. I asked her pediatrician about it and he said there might be some solid stool blocking things up (she's only going every 4-6 days) and to give her prune juice till it passed. After a week of prune juice it was book to normal, but then I stopped giving the juice and it went back to pb. I'm going to call the ped tomorrow but has anyone else dealt with this? It's super stinky too.

Advertisement

Last edited by Katesela; 10-27-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

I had a child that simply HAD to have an ounce if apple juice a day to keep things flowing or he would get severely constipated. It wasn't the end if the world even though I felt totally weird giving a baby juice. I have had a couple of friends that had babies with similar issues. I wounded if you are getting enough fiber? I really don't know if that would be enough to help, but maybe?
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds3 only had this kind of poop. He never had that typical ebf poop. My pedi said it was normal .
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

Does your baby seem to be constipated or in pain? One of my babies often has very thick peanut butter poo only once or twice a week. It's not causing her any problems though, so it doesn't bother me.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: EBF baby has peanut butter poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniella Jean View Post
Does your baby seem to be constipated or in pain? One of my babies often has very thick peanut butter poo only once or twice a week. It's not causing her any problems though, so it doesn't bother me.
This.

My ebf daughter (and other one) only poop once a week starting around 6 weeks. Its sticky, peanutbuttery and still runny (explosive at times!!!). I am not worried, she is not gassy or constipated. I would NEVER give them juice because of it... Breastmilk is so easly digestable and most of it is completely used by the baby leaving little waste, therefore there is less to poop. Oh, and it smells!! So do her farts :P

Last edited by CntryMama; 10-27-2013 at 08:16 PM.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Katesela
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniella Jean
She seems fine, which is why I'm just curious/concerned and not freaking out . Glad to know it's not so unusual!
Katesela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2cuties4ever
This. My ebf daughter (and other one) only poop once a week starting around 6 weeks. Its sticky, peanutbuttery and still runny (explosive at times!!!). I am not worried, she is not gassy or constipated. I would NEVER give them juice because of it... Breastmilk is so easly digestable and most of it is completely used by the baby leaving little waste, therefore there is less to poop. Oh, and it smells!! So do her farts :P
Our pediatrician (from Seattle Children's Hospital) told us too because our child was extremely constipated. That child was was only allowed to eat EXTREMELY thick foods due to almost dying from silent aspirations. Never is a very strong word. Good grief.
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think there are two ends of normal for EBF babies-- babies that poop every time they eat and those that poop once a week. My babies pooped very infrequently at times but would always start going more frequently again eventually. It concerned me at first but then I learned it's not all that uncommon and they never seemed to be uncomfortable.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote