Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

We are going through the same thing with our almost 3 year old. I may try the sticker chart because we just moved the babies bed in there today so I need her to go to bed without screaming at the door.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Okay, good to know it 's probably just a phase bc my almost-3-YO is doing this too. She PLed and so there are nights with 47 potty trips.
I started telling her that she did not have to go to sleep. I sit on the steps outside her room for 10-15 mins or until I "sense" its safe. But if she gets out of bed or gets loud, I go downstairs. Things have improved a bit, I think.
NOT looking forward to the time change next weekend!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do you get your 3 year old to sleep?

I lay with my three year old until he goes to sleep. of course, we bedshare and are night owls so I generally just stay upstairs. if he hasn't napped, I put him to bed early and then come back downstairs
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So, I am trying out the whole sticker chart/reward thing. We'll see how well it goes. I even got her in bed about 15 minutes earlier than normal. We spent a big part of the afternoon talking about the reward chart and how she's a big girl and all that. Normally after I close her door she starts shouting. It's been almost five minutes and she's not calling for me, so far so good. She's in there talking to herself, but I'm perfectly okay with that. Hopefully it works and if she doesn't listen, hopefully I stay strong and don't give in. Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by pine_apple_goat; 10-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.
pine_apple_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

I cannot believe how well the sticker chart worked!!!!!! She didn't get up once. I'm hoping it works for a while.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
I cannot believe how well the sticker chart worked!!!!!! She didn't get up once. I'm hoping it works for a while.
It worked great for us!! She didn't holler for me at all and slept until 8am!! I heard her talk to herself a little bit, but other than that it was amazing!! I hope it keeps working for both of us!!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uhm, how does the reward chart work, exactly? They get a sticker in the morning if they go to sleep without antics? Where do you get the charts? Just make one up?
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I bribed mine with a chocolate chip granola bar for breakfast if he stayed in bed at bedtime and played in the morning until his toddler clock turns yellow without yelling, he gets one for breakfast. He's allowed to yell that his light is yellow. Now if I could just figure out preschool. He can NOT sit still at preschool for any duration of time, and his teacher calls him "stinker" (while giving him hugs and laughing). I need a reward chart for him! Soryr fro typos. Setn by iPhone.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
Uhm, how does the reward chart work, exactly? They get a sticker in the morning if they go to sleep without antics? Where do you get the charts? Just make one up?
I printed off a blank calendar and filled in the dates. I put a reward of some type on Saturday and each morning that they wake up, if they went to bed without putting up trouble, then they get a sticker. She only gets the Saturday reward if she gets all of her stickers. This week she'll get two rewards since it's Halloween and she really wants to go trick or treating.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
I just made a grid in excel for each child, put their names on them, and added hearts and stars for prize days. I started with a night per year of age, and then spread two days further each time.

It works much better for my 3yo than my 5yo.