Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Need help structuring the day with toddler starting preschool

I have 2 little boys a 1 and soon to be 3 year old who starts preschool dec 1- wait maybe wheres my

I need some guidence figuring out how to structure our day.

His preschool hours are as early as 7:45 to 9 am drop off (8-9 is free play) and 12-12:30 pick up. He has the option to ocme back 2-4 if he wants. I want to do that tuesdays as the kids bake. German system yeah so. ..

A few questions, how do I organize naps. Should little one nap mornings and big one afternoons?

I want to also encorperate some outside play,an activity time ( I want to have an activity each day), reading. And of course boys need free play, I need to do things like house work. In that mix is lunch, snacks, dinner. UMMMM how???

What does a normal day look like for someone in my shoes?

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help structuring the day with toddler starting preschool

That sounds pretty awesome, really, that the schedule is kind of flexible. If he loves school, I'd be tempted to let him go back many afternoons unless you had something else planned or he needed his nap. What is your typical routine now with both kids?

My three year old just started preschool 4 mornings a week 9-11:30. It's a bit of an awkward amount of time, as it's too short to do something major, like go to the zoo, but kind of long for hanging at a coffee shop with a one year old. I'm not sure how helpful this will be to you, but this is how our days go:

MORNING - Even though the baby might prefer a morning nap, I try to keep him awake during preschool time so both boys will take a nap at the same time after lunch. One morning I take the 1 year old to a playgroup. One day we go to baby storytime and play at the library. I think one day a week I'll go grocery shopping. And another, I don't know. Maybe a long walk and something else, though I'm a bit of a weenie about the cold. Today, we were both a little tired so we laid around in bed nurse-cuddling but not sleeping and then played for a bit.

AFTERNOON - After we pick up brother, we all eat lunch, then I hope and pray they will both take a nap (like right now!). In the afternoon, we just do whatever. If we have no special plan, DS watches one show immediately upon getting up from nap; he snacks during that time. One day a week we have music class. If the weather is nice, we may go to the playground. If nap is short, we may get to the children's museum or an indoor playplace where we have memberships. Or we just play at home. If DS didn't get to watch an afternoon show when he woke up, he will watch it when we get home. DH usually gets home around 5:45 and plays with them while I make or finish making dinner.

READING - We read a few stories before nap and a few before bed. We have books in the playroom also so if anyone wants me to read one another time, I will, but we don't have any other set reading time.

ACTIVITIES - I've kind of let this go. I've realized that not only does my 3 year old turn his nose up at organized activity or crafts, but it's just not my thing either. I spent a lot of time feeling cruddy about it, for a time I put certain activities on my calendar and had all kinds of plans to print out and laminate things and on and on and it still wasn't getting done. And I have many mom friends who are actually doing the cute pinterest things that I'm only pinning. (And constantly posting about it on facebook!) I play with them, read to them, and am happy to do puzzles and play board games or get out the crayons and paper. I actually feel kind of relieved that those organized activities are offered at preschool and at our once weekly playgroup. I try to remind myself that back before the internet and all, mothers didn't feel this pressure; I am pretty sure my mom wasn't dreaming up the cutest little things to do with my brother and I on a daily basis and she was a fabulous mother. I may go back to trying to have some sort of novel activity planned (making play doh, dropping colored vinegar into baking soda, fingerpainting, seasonal art projects), but once a week would be a reasonable start for me. Or I may try a subscription to one of those KiwiCrate type things as they have activities pre-planned. I have tended to try to keep us busy out of the house, even if it means spending money on a zoo membership or tot class.

HOUSEWORK - Don't ask me as I'm not much of a housekeeper, and my house is not company ready without advance warning (it could be if I was less lazy, though), but I can get something done if both boys nap at the same time or after they go to bed. Or I have DH take them out on the weekend while I catch up a little. My boys are not very independent and the baby is too little to be totally unsupervised (we live in a townhouse on 3 levels where the playroom is in the basement). So I really just focus on keeping the dishwasher loaded/unloaded and switching laundry around while the boys are awake. What I really would love to do is have someone come every other week to clean for me, but that is not in the cars for the immediate future...

Good luck. I totally cried on the first day of preschool, but DS really likes it.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Preschool is just 2 minutes away so he can go back no problem when he wants. They just have to come home for lunch for 2 hours. Unless you want to pay 2,5x more for the lunch time, no thanks lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm no help. But, it sounds fun! I was watching an episode of House Hunters international, and they were looking for a home in Germany. The school was below one of the homes they were looking at, and you could see the kids playing. The agent said "Kids take a two hour lunch and most go home, so you won't hear too much noise.

Then at the end, the family said they love being so close to the school, because the kids have the full two hours to play and relax before she goes back for the afternoon. (she looked to be about four or five)

I thought it looked wonderful. The kids they showed in the school yard and out playing in the street seemed very happy. But, that could just be editing. I really like learning this stuff about other countries.

Heck, I just found out a few years ago that in Canada you buy milk in bags.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
sarahtee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
I'm no help. But, it sounds fun! I was watching an episode of House Hunters international, and they were looking for a home in Germany. The school was below one of the homes they were looking at, and you could see the kids playing. The agent said "Kids take a two hour lunch and most go home, so you won't hear too much noise.

Then at the end, the family said they love being so close to the school, because the kids have the full two hours to play and relax before she goes back for the afternoon. (she looked to be about four or five)

I thought it looked wonderful. The kids they showed in the school yard and out playing in the street seemed very happy. But, that could just be editing. I really like learning this stuff about other countries.

Heck, I just found out a few years ago that in Canada you buy milk in bags.
Just to clarify, you CAN buy milk in bags. Most people don't

Or at least, no one I know does. It may be more popular in other provinces.
sarahtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtee
Just to clarify, you CAN buy milk in bags. Most people don't Or at least, no one I know does. It may be more popular in other provinces.

I exclusively buy bag milk. I moved to Alberta 3 months ago and they don't sell bag milk here. I loathe those awkward plastic jugs!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtee
Just to clarify, you CAN buy milk in bags. Most people don't Or at least, no one I know does. It may be more popular in other provinces.
Milk is only sold in bags in 2-3 provinces in the east
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If it makes you feel better our milk and eggs are not refridgerated and milk stays good for months until opened. Kind of scary.