Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/o on chapter books

What are some of the easiest chapters books for kids to read. My son is in third and while his reading continues to improve he's not quite where his classmates are. He's embarrassed to check out books that aren't chapter books. He loves being read to. We've done a lot of mysteries and funny books. He really likes about anything

Suggestions appeciated

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: S/o on chapter books

We enjoy little house on the prarie books... Maybe Farmer Boy?
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tales of a fourth grade nothing, by Judy Blume
My best fiend, by Sheila Lavelle [note: it really is fiend.]
Ingo, by Helen Dunmore

Last edited by jam's mum; 10-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If he is still working on reading, I suggest the smaller chapter books -- Magic Tree House, A to Z Mysteries, there are some Star Wars and Scooby Doo chapter books. He might like Hank the Cowdog or Geronimo Stilton, as well. And then, there are the classics, like Mouse and the Motorcycle and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Comics are also a great way to boost his confidence. My kids love reading Garfield, BC, Baby Blues, Peanuts, and Calvin and Hobbes. There are also comic versions of some chapter books, including Boxcar Children.

A great resource for finding books is your librarian. If you don't already know the librarians at your local library, get to know them.

ETA: Clyde Robert Bulla has some great chapter books for that level.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
penguinande
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure if these are technically chapter books, or if a big kid would consider them big kid books, but I've been exploring chapter books to read to dd lately, and two that seem super simple but fun are the Frog and Toad books and Nate the Great. I remember reading both when I was a kid so I might be biased, but these seem like they would hold the attention of beginning readers. Also, I think it's great to let your kid pick out what he or she wants to read, even if it's not what you would choose. It might not seem particularly educational to you, but any reading is good reading!
penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe Nate the Great? If I recall right it is pretty simple but would be a chapter book that looks like others kids that age. Maybe Boxcar Children.

Honestly, email his teacher or the librarian. They can give you some good suggestions that are at his reading level but would blend well with other kids. I find a lot of people rarely utilize these resources and they usually have wonderful knowledge. I've gotten some amazing suggestions from both teachers and the librarians for my kids.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah find out what his dra level is then check out Scholastic for ideas.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

My son is behind in reading, also. Some of the books that also have a lot of pictures, like the Captain Underpants, Notebook of Doom, Superdiaper Baby, Bad Kitty, etc encourage him to read. They look like chapter books, but are easier to read, and funny enough to keep his attention. Once he becomes a reader, you can encourage higher quality reading.

The Mouse and the Motorcycle seems to be an easy read, too, ds is reading that one right now. You can also try Bunnicula, and Roald Dahl is a huge favorite here.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
Yeah find out what his dra level is then check out Scholastic for ideas.
Scholastic has the "Branches" category which is easy chapter books. DS is in 2nd and loves the Notebook of Doom books, which I found through Scholastic Branches. (I think there are 2 out so far, with a 3rd coming this month.)
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a similar problem. Tharen is a strong reader but has a minimal attention span so he drops chapter books quickly. If it doesn't have pictures every other page he isn't interested in it. He also has a limited interest area, cats, pirates, wolves and sometimes dogs. He balks at most of the books his brother loved so I've had a hard time finding anything for him.

He refused Magic Treehouse (I will admit I didn't like those books either but Kearnan did) as well as Dragon Slayers Academy (he did have me keep those for later).

What he has liked so far were Ruby Gloom, Bad Kitty, Milly and Tug, And the Warrior series of Graphic Novels. I have also found The Calendar Mysteries and Bailey School Kids which he says he wants to read. We will see if he actually read them. I have so many other books that he should be able to read but he won't. Bunnicula series, Odd and the Frost Giants, Cat Wings (he loves these books but refuses to read them), Pirates of the Caribbean (Kearnan collected them and Tharen insisted he wanted them but always stops in the middle).

ETA: Tharen also really enjoys reading non-fiction books and I can get him reading at a higher level if I put plenty of quality non-fiction (on subjects he finds interesting) in our library. Both of the boys enjoy non-fiction books.

Last edited by iris0110; 10-29-2013 at 12:12 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote