Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
help me make sense of this

Cycle experts please explain what happened. I know next week I will be laughing about this, and in a month it will be adorable. But right now I feel totally out of control of the universe.

I've been using fertility friend for over a year, and abstaining for the week of ovulation has been our single only form of birth control during that time. My cycle is consistently forty days long, give or take a couple days. At the end of August the calendar said I was ovulating, right on time, and hubby and I decided to go for it. 9 days later I had a positive pregnancy test. Yay!

Now... today I had my ultrasound. I should be 12 weeks based on that ovulation date. Ladies, according to the ultrasound tech I'm over 14 weeks.

I want to cry. This baby just went from a vacation spur of the moment passion baby to a total oops. I know it's funny and awesome. But I also feel like an idiot. And I feel totally confused. What the heck happened!?

ETA: To clarify, the due date I'm concerned about was calculated by ultrasound measurement, not by LMP.

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 11-08-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Measurement error in the ultrasound or just a big baby
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

No idea but obviously totally meant to be. That is kindof how our youngest happened. My husband and I disagree about when our unprotected dtd happened so either we had excellent timing, or we had condom failure but there is no doubt that this precious dd is supposed to be a part of our family. You may never know but just enjoy the fact that you have 2 weeks less to be pregnant!
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Congrats! The earlier the ultrasound, the more accurate.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me make sense of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Measurement error in the ultrasound or just a big baby

At the dating ultrasound for DS they said I was due two weeks earlier than my dates said. I refused to agree with their dates because I KNEW when he was conceived. I needed to be induced because of DS's heart condition and I fought with the MFM dr about the date to induce because he wanted to use the 1/4 due date and induce 12/28 and I said I wasn't due until 1/14 and wouldn't agree to be induced before the 1/11. He was pissed, thought I'd end up going into labor on my own away from the hospital, etc. Guess who was still pregnant on 1/11 and who's baby was said to be a tad under 40 weeks gestation at birth

If you are quite sure of your dates stick to your guns mama. Ultrasound isn't perfect.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sooooo we are due the same day?

I got my first kid off a wonky oops cycle, and he's lovely, so I am a big fan of those. Quite seriously, though, I only had two chances to conceive him that month, because my husband was at conferences, and my doctor does do the dating ultrasound so that confirmed that it was indeed a wonky weird cycle.

BUT, it could also be an unreliable measurement because IIRC only the u/s from 6-10 weeks is considered to be a really reliable measurement. It is possible that you are indeed what you think you are. Will your insurance pay for another u/s, by a different person on a different machine to try to see if it turns out the same? Did they scan enough to get a feel that it really is a more developed baby and not just a "big" thing?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
You may be doing what I always do, which is forgetting the two weeks of pregnancy before you even conceive. If you are counting from date of conception, it might be 12 weeks. But the doctors are counting from last missed period, which adds two weeks.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
You may be doing what I always do, which is forgetting the two weeks of pregnancy before you even conceive. If you are counting from date of conception, it might be 12 weeks. But the doctors are counting from last missed period, which adds two weeks.
Ohmahgodthankyou!!!!!!! I've been wracking my freaking brain like a moron!!!!!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

What EDd did they give you? I think I conceived btw Aug 13 and 16 and my EDD is May 4.

I'm 14+5 today
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf

Ohmahgodthankyou!!!!!!! I've been wracking my freaking brain like a moron!!!!!
I hate this too. I understand why they have to do it, but how can one be pregnant before ovulation. So silly.

Congrats
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote