Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #41
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: help me make sense of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I don't temp, but after crying about it and reviewing 2 apps and a year of charts I've come to a decision: I refuse to believe that I'm such a mysterious unicorn of a woman that I ovulate 30 days before I menstruate. From everything I've ever read this just doesn't happen, the luteal phases lasts 14 days give or take a couple, not 30 days. So the other possibility is that my cycle suddenly cut itself 2 weeks short after over a year of consistency (i.e. if I hadn't become pregnant my period would have been 2 weeks earlier than usual). That also seems pretty unlikely if you ask me. I've been through plenty of stress and illness during that time and my cycle has varied by only a couple days. Two weeks would be outrageous IMO. I also can't believe that our NFP was really just dumb luck until the same month we decided to go for it.

So I'm going to show my charts to my midwives, and if they insist on going with the ultrasound due date I guess I'll request a second ultrasound.

ETA: According to a manual of obstetrics I found the margin of error for gestational age is +/- 1 week before 12 weeks, and +/- 2 weeks after 12 weeks. If I conceived on August 26th (as I think I did) I would have been 12 weeks 4 days when I had the ultrasound that said I was 14 weeks 3 days. lol. I'm not obsessing I swear.
Insist on another ultrasound. I've had some issues with the ultrasound techs at that hospital.

Advertisement

miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Measurement error in the ultrasound or just a big baby
Not this early in the ultrasound. 12-14 weeks is still early enough to be accurate.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Progesterone level might also be helpful.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #44
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
Do you do any of the optional tests that are week-specific? We do the NT u/s and some of the bloodwork that is, just so I can be prepared emotionally, and this would really throw that off for me. Can you just request another u/s now on a different machine by a different tech and then fight it out with them if the baby is still measuring "ahead?"

You are likely not a special unicorn, at least not in THIS sense With B, I remember he was flipping around a ton and they weren't able to get him to be still long enough to pause it to measure, and they were repeatedly saying that they were concerned the measurements may be off. Maybe the baby was too flippy?

I'd fight for what I thought was right, too. I wouldn't want someone to think they were inducing me at 41 weeks and to be only 39 weeks.
We don't do any additional testing. I actually hate ultrasounds too, lol, they always seem to cause drama for me. During my last pregnancy I had a MC the previous cycle and so didn't have an LMP, so I had an US at 8 weeks to determine my EDD. A few months later they started scheduling a bunch more ultrasounds because I began measuring small. Then, ta da, my 10 day overdue baby weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces. Which makes me think the EDD was off. And yes 8 week US are more accurate but the margin of error is still +/- 1 week. I don't think they were off by a whole lot with my son, but I don't think he was really that much over due.

I don't think this baby was making measurement difficult, and I don't wnat to say the tech was bad. But there is a level of uncertainty in US that, personally, I find much more compelling than the level of uncertainty in my cycles. They have proven themselves to be extremely consistent. US not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh View Post
Insist on another ultrasound. I've had some issues with the ultrasound techs at that hospital.
I'm sorry to hear that, but also not.

I hate unnecessary ultrasounds but that is probably going to be the next step, though I don't know how I would go about getting a different tech. When Kim (midwife) examined me a week ago she said my uterus felt right for the dates I claimed. I really think she would have noticed the difference between 11 weeks and 13 weeks. She feels uteri all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Not this early in the ultrasound. 12-14 weeks is still early enough to be accurate.
According to medical textbooks the margin of error after 12 weeks is +/- 2 weeks. And it also depends a lot on the skill of the tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
Progesterone level might also be helpful.
That is a great idea! It looks like there is a big jump between 14 and 16 weeks.

http://repro-med.net/repro-med-site2...d=25&Itemid=12

Should I request a blood draw at my 14/16 week appointment?

Last edited by Palooka; 11-10-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #45
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

^ I would! I think the big jump is bc at 14-weeks or so, the placenta takes over.

Last edited by mommypockets; 11-10-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
^ I would! I think the big jump is bc at 14-weeks or so, the placenta takes over.
Thank you mama!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka

Thank you mama!
You're welcome! And buy a thermometer for the next baby!!! . It's a must for long cycle mamas!